• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gesiers D'oie Confits

DanM

I was planning on buying  jar of duck confit at the market, but I had a dimwitted moment and grabbed the confit goose gizzards instead. What should I do with them? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Corned/confit gizzards are absolutely delicious, provided they are properly cured, cleaned and cooked tender - like rosy meat jellybeans. If not, they are chewy, brown and unappetizing. 

I use them in soups, salads, pastas, pâtés, ragouts, stews and virtually anything that beckons for a savory garnish. We even warm them up and snack on them at home with cocktails, pickes and nuts. 

Gizzards in a salad with a poached egg and dressing made with the goose fat is quite delectable.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Baron d'Apcher said:

Corned/confit gizzards are absolutely delicious, provided they are properly cured, cleaned and cooked tender -  

what's your cure ratio (and why haven't you written a cookbook/manual) ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, adey73 said:

what's your cure ratio (and why haven't you written a cookbook/manual) ?

Per the weight of the cleaned gizzards (remove the thick inner keratin lining):

2% salt

1% sugar

.25% #1 cure

Whole spices, herbs, garlic.

So, for 1000g of gizzards:

20g salt

10g sugar

3g #1 cure

Cure for 48 hrs.  Put the gizzards in a pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil.  Strain through a colander and rinse, keep the spices and such.

Cover with fat (poultry fat, lard, tallow or oil) and bring to a simmer.  Cook in a 225F oven with a parchment cover for 3-4 hours or until tender.  Cool in the fat, store in the fat refrigerated.

If you don't have fat, cover the blanched gizzards with water and add a pinch of salt.  Cook in the same manner.

• Like 1