• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In-flight food refueling

timotb

Hi!

This should probably be moved to "ready to eat"

I'm here, not to sell anything, but to talk about an idea.  Am I the only person on the planet that most of time doesn't want to stop to eat?  Sure, a nice meal and a drink are fine with the right company.  But most of the time determining what and where to eat is a pain.  Love to swallow a pill and go.   Still science fiction. 

The closest I'm finding to this is a frozen bag microwave steamable meals from Walmart. For $6,  a good size meal, put the bag in a microwave and in 10 minutes, EAT.  Walmart has maybe 4 choices of this kind of meal in their frozen section.  Aldi's has frozen meal bags for $3.29 but not the kind of packaging that you can just pop in the microwave. 

The military has dry meals ready to eat (MRE).  Not the best for regular everyday meals as they don't taste good  are expensive and high in calories.  Designed for young adults in the field. 

We need a better way to eat.  Efficient, fast,, easy, inexpensive, nutritious , one step prepare,  and tastes good.   A lot of points to hit. 

Love to start a revolution how we eat.  Fast food is high priced junk as is most restaurant food....prepared frozen, add lots of salt, then drop in a deep fryer to serve the customer and charge a big dollar.

Anyone have thoughts or ideas? 

40 minutes ago, timotb said:

Love to swallow a pill and go.   Still science fiction. 

Really? Are you sure you’re talking to the right people. Most of us love to cook, love to eat and love to enjoy all the social aspects associated with food.  I bet not many of us would prefer to swallow a pill. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

You may find this topic interesting: Soylent (Food Replacement)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Processed foods, including frozen meals and shelf stable meals have been linked to a higher incidence of cancer.

I personally really enjoy exploring ingredients and techniques and have been known to make most everything from scratch. I even have a grain grinder attachment for my mixer, so that I can make fresh whole grain flours.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, timotb said:

We need a better way to eat. 

Maybe. But I don't think we'll be in agreement about what that better way might be. Sounds like you're firmly within an "eat to live" crowd. I think most of us here are in the "live to eat" crowd. I think it's why we're here. There are many threads about efficiency and nutrition, etc. But all of them are oriented towards getting things to taste good so that eating them will be enjoyable. I do not want to swallow a pill and go. Ever. O.o

• Like 8

5 hours ago, timotb said:

Hi!

I'm here, not to sell anything, but to talk about an idea.  Am I the only person on the planet that most of time doesn't want to stop to eat?  Sure, a nice meal and a drink are fine with the right company.  But most of the time determining what and where to eat is a pain.  Love to swallow a pill and go.   Still science fiction. 

The closest I'm finding to this is a frozen bag microwave steamable meals from Walmart. For $6,  a good size meal, put the bag in a microwave and in 10 minutes, EAT.  Walmart has maybe 4 choices of this kind of meal in their frozen section.  Aldi's has frozen meal bags for $3.29 but not the kind of packaging that you can just pop in the microwave. 

The military has dry meals ready to eat (MRE).  Not the best for regular everyday meals as they don't taste good  are expensive and high in calories.  Designed for young adults in the field. 

We need a better way to eat.  Efficient, fast,, easy, inexpensive, nutritious , one step prepare,  and tastes good.   A lot of points to hit. 

Love to start a revolution how we eat.  Fast food is high priced junk as is most restaurant food....prepared frozen, add lots of salt, then drop in a deep fryer to serve the customer and charge a big dollar.

Anyone have thoughts or ideas? 

There's something to your idea. 

But I'd not couch it as a fast way to get eating over with...at least not here. 

But if you propose a microwaveable premade meal that doesn't suck...so one could eat well at work...and avoid all the crap we usually eat at lunch...that's different and worthwhile. 

• Like 2

I'm a bit confused about your purpose in joining the group. If it's about finding better recipes and better ways to feed people, you've come to a good place. The cumulative knowledge and the willingness to help that you will find here here is immeasurable. But if you were looking for converts, I'm afraid they will be few and far between. Please tell us more about yourself and what you would like to learn from joining The Forum.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, timotb said:

No, it's not your post that is in the wrong place. It's you.

This is a community which celebrates food in all its diversity. Celebrates sourcing it, buying it, growing it, cooking it, sharing it and eating it. A  community that understands and celebrates the  importance of food in our various cultures and histories and lives. A community in which, like in families, the members don't always agree but usually respect and learn from each other.

Food in a pill. Never.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

My husband, Johnybird, would agree with you in a way.  He has expressed the same feelings as many times intestinal distress comes after eating food.  It makes cooking interesting/sad/uninspiring.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

This topic, at least so far, is a good illustration of why, after 14½ years and, soon, 3,003 posts, I’ll be greatly curtailing, if not stopping, my participation in the “on-topic” forums. I was contemplating doing so anyway, but this became an opportune time to explain myself. (Why 3,003? It has two types of symmetry and it’s a fun word to say. Yes, I have a strange relationship with numbers.)

I was seriously disappointed – (dismayed? disillusioned? I’m not sure of the best “dis” word here) – by the majority of the replies in this topic. It was timotb’s first post on eGullet, and if I were in his shoes, it would also be my last. All he (I assumed "he" based on the screen name) wanted to do was to introduce a food-related topic for discussion, but he immediately got jumped on.

Last I checked, eGullet was about FOOD, period; ergo, he’s still very much in the right place. Perhaps his introduction went a bit far afield, but except for gfweb and maybe Smithy, no one responded directly to the actual topic, which he detailed in his next-to-last paragraph. It had nothing to do with pills or MREs or anything of the sort.

In my opinion, all this reflects a larger issue concerning eGullet’s history and current incarnation. However, getting into specifics is probably a violation of the Guidelines, so I won’t.

Edited by Alex
to add paragraphs (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

In general, I agree with some of things you're saying @Alex. But for this thread specifically, I do not.

Did you miss this part?

"Am I the only person on the planet that most of time doesn't want to stop to eat?"

Or this? "Love to swallow a pill and go."

His ideas may well be of merit. I do not think this is the place to discuss them. The main thing I understood from his post, and the above sentences in particular (and I do not think I'm imagining it) is that he does not enjoy food all that much. That's perfectly fine. We all know people who don't care much about eating. But why would they hang out here? What sort of conversation can we have with one another?

1 hour ago, cakewalk said:

In general, I agree with some of things you're saying @Alex. But for this thread specifically, I do not.

Did you miss this part?

"Am I the only person on the planet that most of time doesn't want to stop to eat?"

Or this? "Love to swallow a pill and go."

His ideas may well be of merit. I do not think this is the place to discuss them. The main thing I understood from his post, and the above sentences in particular (and I do not think I'm imagining it) is that he does not enjoy food all that much. That's perfectly fine. We all know people who don't care much about eating. But why would they hang out here? What sort of conversation can we have with one another?

I understand what you're saying, but I do think this is the place. Maybe not the ideal one, but acceptable nonetheless. I think that most everyone in this thread didn't quite get what timotb was asking. As I read it, it was: As a person who "most of [the] time doesn't want to stop to eat," and given the current state of the food industry, is there a way to provide commercial food that's "efficient, fast, easy, inexpensive, nutritious, one step [to] prepare, and tastes good"? His inclusion of "tastes good" tells me he does care at some level. Would you similarly want to exclude someone who, because of physical limitations, asked the same question?

The eG Member Agreement says "We seek to appeal to a diverse group..." Granted that timotb's criteria might not fit some members' definition of the "art of eating," but still, we should be a big tent here.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

1 hour ago, Alex said:

is there a way to provide commercial food that's "efficient, fast, easy, inexpensive, nutritious, one step [to] prepare, and tastes good"?

Trader Joe’s and a microwave will get you pretty far. There’s still chewing though. 

• Like 4

@timotb - where do you live?  Larger cities in the US generally have a range of meal delivery services that cater to a range of different diets.  

My brother, who is of the eat-to-live persuasion, has used a number of them that provide daily delivery of re-heatable meals and snacks and suit his paleo and gluten-free notions. There is a cost associated with those services but he found it much more economical than ordering from or dining out in restaurants and I was surprised that the cost wasn't higher than it was.

The pill thing isn't happening for a long time, unless it's a bunch of massive pills.  Too many health benefits from having real food processed in the usual way.  Patients forced to use total parenteral (IV) nutrition really struggle in the long term and I suspect a tiny pill meal replacement would result in some of the same issues.

I wish he had said I like to enjoy food to the fullest on Sundays or Mondays or Fridays but the rest of the time I am just fueling my body. I feel we are here to discuss the enjoyment of food  times in general. Myself I like the 'diet' threads too but my mainstay is the pleasure of food. Even if we came to the point of a 'pill' for food because we are so busy in life..I'd like to believe there are egullet rebels that would spit the pill out and make a chicken soup :) 

• Like 4

A Photoshop text I am reading at the moment uses frozen lasagne as a metaphor.  Perhaps better that I not say for what.  I do enjoy some frozen convenience foods.  Stouffer's spinach souffle comes to mind.  And tonight is Talluto's frozen ravioli*.  But not, not frozen lasagne.

*on sale, plus coupon.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Trader Joe’s and a microwave will get you pretty far. There’s still chewing though. 

Hmmmm - not if that pill comes in suppository form!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

A meal pill wouldn't be for me. However, it would be nice to have some better ready-to-eat meals for when I'm at work. I've got some frozen pastas, ramen cup noodles, and canned soup at work, for those days when I don't have a lunch to bring or don't/can't go out. Or just feeling the wallet's a bit thin. I'm bored of all my back-up meals. Some of the better-looking frozen meals take up too much time in the microwave. 8 minutes...really? My coworkers would revolt if I hogged the micro for that long during lunch!

When I was running marathons I would consume energy gels (Guu, Cliff Shots, Power Gels). Basically a small pouch of flavoured maltodextrin and caffeine, for quick fuel delivery. Not very tasty, but did the job. I've since switched over to Honey Stingers gummy candies, which take a little longer to do the same thing but taste way better than a mouthful of goo.

I've known people to consume energy gels and gummies in the middle of a work day as a meal replacement, even though that's not the intended use. That's not for me, either.