• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caramel issue

CaramelAddiction

I have made caramel for several years but over the past few months it has not set up the same. Now, as it cools in the container it appears that the corn syrup is separating at the bottom. I have not altered my recipe and have not been able to figure out why this is happening. Any suggestions>

23 hours ago, CaramelAddiction said:

I have made caramel for several years but over the past few months it has not set up the same. Now, as it cools in the container it appears that the corn syrup is separating at the bottom. I have not altered my recipe and have not been able to figure out why this is happening. Any suggestions>

Are you sure it is the corn syrup? I often have butter separate from the caramel as it is cooling (happened this morning in fact). I have not figured it out, nor has anyone I have asked for advice. Sometimes I can stir it back in, sometimes not.

I have seen lots of people post about butter separating but from what I read it separates at the top of the caramel. This is at the bottom and when I pour it out of the container it is thick and a syrup like consistency. I can't swear to anything though. Just that it has only recently started to happen. 

Post the recipe and your method. Also, how big are the containers? Are they deep and narrow, or are they wide and shallow? Are you agitating it at all once poured? Is it being covered while it is still warm? There are so many factors that could be affecting it.