• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Goan Pickle: "Prawn Balchao"

Sheel

Prawn Balchao is a very famous Goan pickle that has a sweet, spicy and tangy flavor to it. 

For the balchao paste you will need:

> 8-10 kashmiri red chillies

> 4-5 Byadagi red chillies

> 1/2 tsp cumin seeds

> 1/2 tsk turmeric powder 

> 1 tsp peppercorn

> 6 garlic cloves

> 1/2 tsp cloves

> 1 inch cinnamon stick

> Vinegar 

First you will need to marinate about 250 grams of prawns in some turmeric powder and salt. After 15 minutes deep fry them in oil till them become golden n crisp. Set them aside and add tsp vinegar to them and let it sit for 1 hour. Now, make a paste of all the ingredients mentioned under the balchao paste and make sure not to add any water. In the same pan used for fryin the prawns, add in some chopped garlic and ginger. Lightly fry them and immediately add one whole chopped onion. Next, add the balchao paste amd let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in the prawns and cook until the gravy thickens. Finally add 1 tsp sugar and salt according to your taste. Allow it to cool. This can be stored in a glass jar. Let this mature for 1-3 weeks before its use. Make sure never to use water at any stage. This can be enjoyed with a simple lentil curry and rice.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)

Where do I get seeds for the 2 chiiis?  I have everything else.  If I can get three seeds of each I will grow my own.  This pickle sounds wonderful. 

Edited by joiei (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!