• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do You Change Your Eating Habits During Lent?

gulfporter

I am as lapsed a Catholic as you'll ever meet.  But I forego meat on Fridays during Lent.  Old habits die hard.  I don't otherwise fast during Lent but my brother, another lapsed Catholic, still does (he's giving up beer this year).  

During Lent (Cuaresma) here in Mexico, many local women sell capriotada on Fridays.  They just put a handwritten sign on their doors late in the week announcing the sale.  Capriotada is a bread pudding, that contains both sweet and savory elements.  It has the requisite bread, cinnamon, cloves, raisins and sugar (very sweet piloncillo, an unrefined cane sugar sold in cylindrical shapes).  Instead of eggs and milk as a binder, only water is added.  There is always a ton of cheese in it which becomes the binder.  Many senoras add tomato and onion; it varies household to household.  Nuts are sometimes found in it, too.  

While I buy a piece every Friday on our walk home from dinner, I have not acquired an appreciation of it.  

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 2

Not being Catholic, lapsed or otherwise, nope, I don't. But I am considering making gumbo z'herbes for Maundy Thursday basically for the same reason I make corned beef on St. Patrick's day... because it's a focus point to encourage me to actually get it done. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

26 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

No.

Ditto

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here in Atlantic Canada it's not uncommon even for non-Catholics to settle on a symbolic renunciation during Lent, though my family never did. My GF was raised Catholic, but she's currently keto-ing so A) going meatless would be a severe challenge, and B) she feels she's given up quite enough at present, thank you. :P

I cracked her up the other day by quoting Tom Lehrer at her: "You're the girl my money's spent for, you're the girl I gave up Lent for..." 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Methodists (Episcopal-light, which in turn is Catholic-light) typically observe Lent in some fashion. I'm giving up Facebook (and finding I have SO much more time!).

In the past, I've given up candy, soft drinks, things of that nature. Abstaining from meat was never a thing, for some reason. I knew better than to vow to give up wine.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Episcopalian here.  We are observing Lent again this year by giving up restaurant eating and donating what we figure we usually spend to the Food Pantry.  We've done it for the last couple of years and it seems an appropriate abstention.  We love to eat out, so it is a sacrifice, but it becomes a service with the donation.  Since Sundays are excepted, we can still do brunch after church, too!

• Like 7

I’m also a lapsed Catholic. I don’t eat meat on Fridays. Which is oddly difficult as I don’t eat meat often, but when you abstain from something, it’s always in your mind. My husband who isn’t Catholic does eat meat and sometimes I get jealous/ irritated. 

I haven’t given anything up yet. I couldn’t come up with anything I could do and not fail. 

My parents both eat meat on Fridays and they both grew up in very strict Catholic homes— one side is Irish, the other Italian. I kind of like doing it as it reminds me of my grandparents. 

That said I often find myself fasting most of the day then in exhaustion reaching for the “oriental” top ramen or making pasta or eating pizza.

I've still never made it to one of those Friday during Lent fish dinners. If any of you go to oone I'd love to hear what they serve and pics if possible.  Here is the existing  topic  

46 minutes ago, heidih said:

I've still never made it to one of those Friday during Lent fish dinners. If any of you go to oone I'd love to hear what they serve and pics if possible.  Here is the existing  topic  

Here in the Mid-South, there's a strong Catholic presence along the Mississippi River (mostly because that's the original area settled/colonized by the French and Spanish). Consequently, every little meat-and-three establishment in the Delta, as well as in much of the rest of the South, serves fried catfish as one of its specials on Fridays. 

It's typically served with French fries, hushpuppies, cole slaw, and white soup beans, with sliced raw onion and pickled green tomatoes as garnishes. Onion rings are sometimes an option. 

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Grew up in a small community(2100 people or so) and Presbyterian.  We were asked not to give something up but to take something (good) on.   I am so old that EVERY Friday at school was meatless - fish sticks or cheese pizza or macaroni cheese.  During Lent Wednesday was also meatless......

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We didn't have a whole lot of money when I was a kid. Fridays during Lent we usually had "yellow dinner". Kraft mac and cheese, scrambled eggs, and canned corn. Dad would fry frozen breaded shrimp and french fries on one Friday for a treat. 

• Like 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Nope.  Much to the chagrin of my catholic mother.  To be honest, if someone doesn't tell me it's lent, it's likely I won't even remember.  

When I was growing up, it was Fish Fry Fridays or tuna salad, etc.  Pasta was already a popular go to dish in my house.  I remember LOVING the fish fries.  I should go and get some this year.  For @heidih.....yep, that's why.

Edited by blbst36 (log)

3 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

We didn't have a whole lot of money when I was a kid. Fridays during Lent we usually had "yellow dinner". Kraft mac and cheese, scrambled eggs, and canned corn. Dad would fry frozen breaded shrimp and french fries on one Friday for a treat. 

My family also poor, East European immigrants (Lithuanian).  We alternated between these throughout Lent:

Cheese and/or potato pierogis topped with sautéed onions and butter (homemade pierogis)

Potato pancakes with sour cream

Macaroni and cheese AND baked potatoes with sour cream (mac n cheese homemade)

Once in awhile....real fish sticks (from a real fish market) but not fries...some sort of fried potato ball (similar to tater tots but more like real food)

Edited by gulfporter (log)