• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

emmeyekayeee

Why is Asian(Westernized) broth so dang difficult to get right?

I think she just means a short dip in the pond  whenever- I lean to the end

• Like 1

Oh definitely at the end of cooking. The only further cooking to that egg drop soup is a quick swirl in of the egg mixture. Long cooking will destroy the flavor of both the garlic and ginger. And you can decide whether you want to leave the garlic and ginger or remove, but in my recipe it called for smashed cloves and slices of ginger. The 15 minute simmer is plenty to extract good flavor into the broth, and at least to this Westerner, garlic and ginger flavor says Asian to me. 

So, this process seems to be the "mother sauce" of Asian soups. Is this a fair analogy? If I want to adapt this broth for various recipes, I would use this as a starting off point and then adjust as needed?

I mean... it's basically just chicken stock with ginger in it. You can take it in a lot of different directions, but calling it a mother sauce isn't really a fair analogy (if we're comparing it to the 5 classical mother sauces). But you should definitely use it as a starting point and experiment with different variations.

• Like 1

I was hoping the quotation marks would be rhetoric enough, but you get the point. I know there's such a thing as SUPERIOR BROTH in Asian cuisine, but I am aware that this isn't it. I'm now going to try a phö broth with beef bones (ox tail and marrow, as well).

If you want some superior broth, make a double stock and then clarify it. The OG way is to use a mixture of pureed chicken breast and egg whites to form a raft. The fancy modernist version uses Methocel F50 instead of egg whites. Either way, the broth won't be the weak link in your wonton soup anymore. 

You can do the same thing with beef stock if you substitute very lean ground beef for the chicken breast.

• Like 1

I've had some real success with freezing then thawing stock on a strainer. It's comes out perfectly clear. Sure, it may take longer, but it doesn't involve any fancy or expensive techniques. 

The broth's gelatin acts as the chicken breast and egg white does.....a filter.

• Like 1

Sure, it takes a day or so, but it comes out nice and clear. In all fairness, I accidentally dropped some of the gelatin into this end product, so it's a tiny bit cloudier than normal. But in the interests of getting a picture out to you guys, I had to accept it rather than starting over.

IMG_20180223_223221.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/23/2018 at 1:33 PM, btbyrd said:

If you want some superior broth, make a double stock and then clarify it. The OG way is to use a mixture of pureed chicken breast and egg whites to form a raft. The fancy modernist version uses Methocel F50 instead of egg whites. Either way, the broth won't be the weak link in your wonton soup anymore. 

ahh back when chefsteps used to be interesting.

• Similar Content

• By pastrygirl
      Something I wonder about but have yet to attempt ...

i usually make Swiss or Italian meringue buttercream with egg whites. Occasionally I make egg yolk buttercream if I have excess yolks. 

Is there any reason why one couldn’t make whole egg buttercream?  Whole eggs whip up plenty fluffy for genoise, what if you added hot syrup and cool butter? 🤔
    • By Miriam G
      Hello everyone,
      I am in the process of locating a commercial kitchen space to rent in order to produce my chocolates on a larger scale, for retail and wholesale.  The challenge is that I have not been able to locate a space that has air conditioning or any kind of temperature control.  Even if everything else in the facility is perfect, that's the one issue that keeps coming up.

Can anyone provide guidance regarding the feasibility of working in a non temperature controlled space, and if there are any work arounds?  I'd have full access to fridges, freezers, etc...

Thanks in advance for any help or experiences you can share!
      Miriam
    • By secast1992
      So I've been experiencing cracks on the foot of my bonbons that I've been unable to find the cause of, hoping to reach out to the community to get to the bottom of this costly problem. 

I work for a small chocolate company that makes our own bean to bar couverture. We use a continuous tempering machine with enrobing belt attachment. 
      The process: ganache is made and then piped into round silicone molds, which are then footed with tempered chocolate before being placed in the freezer until frozen enough to pop out of the molds. They are then set up right and left to thaw and dry out overnight on a equipped with fans aimed at the bonbons. The next day we send the bonbons through the enrober, and then they are transferred to a speed rack to set up, either at room temp (generally around 68-70 degrees F) or in a homemade cooling cabinet (an insulated box equipped with an air conditioner + dehumidifier + fans) that generally fluctuates between 50-56 degrees F (I know, large range). 

Problems occur with both milk and dark couverture, with bonbons kept at room temp or in cabinet, thickness of foot doesn't seem to make a difference (we've tried thicker and thinner). Crack doesn't immediately appear; it usually takes a couple of minutes after being completely set before showing. It looks as though the foot is popping out, cause a hairline crack between the shell and the foot. I've attached pictures. You'll notice in the photos, that when the bonbon is cut in half, the foot separates from the shell pretty significantly. 

Thoughts? Suggestions? Similar experiences? 

• By Trufflenaut
      I'm a small-scale hobbyist candymaker (making things for myself and friends, not for sale), and I'm interested in learning more about sugar panning (mostly soft sugar panning, but also interested in hard panning).  I recently made myself a panning machine, and understand the very basics of the process, but I'm finding it difficult to find thorough information on the process that is useful for home candymaking - most of the information I have found so far has been of the sort "here is how to use this product that you can only buy in 100-lb quantities", or "this $200 industry manual has a section on panning techniques that may or may not be useful, but you can't tell until after you buy it".  Is there a good book/website/other source that thoroughly explains all parts of the panning process with enough detail to figure out how to do things with the materials at hand, and more importantly how to know at each step if things are going right?  I have access to the book "Confectionary Science and Technology", which has been a HUGE help, but there's still quite a bit that it doesn't talk about.

I also have a couple of specific questions, and would appreciate any info:
      1. How do I add color?  Adding gel food color to the syrup only provides slight coloration, and I have food color powder but am not sure if I should add it to the syrup, to the sugar, or just it to replace the sugar.

2. I have some carnauba wax to use for polishing, but I can't find any info on how to use it - do I just pour a small quantity of melted wax to the centers in the pan?  Do I need to mix it with anything?

Huge thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
    • By emmeyekayeee
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1keOm7TxIn19oaw2KPxT4avaFeBGiTEMd/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g6UlqTLcKlO7JXKVv6KGbbabrIOU5O44/view?usp=drivesdk