• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greetings!

Tempranillo

Long time lurker here, I finally have some questions to ask! (about competition barbecue) I live in AZ, on the West side of Phoenix, and I love to cook. I attended culinary school about a decade ago, but never really got a permanent job in the industry. Anyway, I look forward to learning more about lots of food topics.

The barbecue thing is very recent. A person I know is trying to start a kosher event, but recently lost the venue. He's part of the group that runs 8-9 kosher events nationwide (US) with sanctioning from KCBS. The kosher events are much stricter than regular competition barbecues. In the existing events, equipment and meats are provided by the event organizers. This way they know it's all kosher. They also have longer setup periods because a rabbi must approve all other food brought onsite and all tools brought in must be koshered under supervision. Even food brought onsite for competitors to eat ourselves must be approved and kosher meat/pareve no dairy. Since I do not yet know what sort of equipment I will be issued at the event, I have been winging it at home and a small outdoor kitchen a friend has graciously allowed me to use as a test kitchen. Since everything must be kosher I have a lot of questions about competition barbecue generally, and kosher cooking in particular. There's also the issue of changing styles and tastes in the barbecue world. Winning sauces from 5 years ago are no longer good enough. I am wondering if I should continue the existing competition barbecue thread, or start a new one for kosher competitions? And, if so, since things change  so quickly, should I put the year in the title?