• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anybody ever try to make latkes in an air fryer?

gfweb

I think it would work but I would freeze them into patties first so they would not drip through the basket.  I did this when I made them in the deep fryer so they would stay together.  I have also discovered that when you use fresh onions, it increases the moisture content a lot and wringing out the latkes was what I always found to be the worst part of making them.  So now I use granulated onion and there's much less moisture to contend with.  

• Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I'm back home finally and fiddled with it. First try...415 F x 10 min in the Breville.

No egg, just salt. Grated, squeezed to wring out water and formed into a patty.

Both sides sprayed with pam and slid onto the basket with a stainless fish spatula

011.thumb.jpg.ae2f6f11e3e540afbd534cffdb7ed33f.jpg

With egg

5a861ef52588c_016(2).thumb.jpg.e2b724bb638b296e96abc81b7cb67878.jpg

This is something promising. Its quick... non-greasy...and would taste fine with some seasoning

The edges were clearly overdone. Next time I'll have them less shaggy.

Egg maybe made it a little more cohesive; but both of them were easy to pick up with a spatula and held together well.

Further studies are needed.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Nice.

my fryer only gets to 392f but I will give it a try.

392F in a normal air fryer is about the same as 425F in the Breville as the Breville has a lot less air movement.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Round 2.

Yukon gold shredded and wrung out and salted

Formed into patties about as thick as a breakfast sausage patty and a little broader ...with no shaggy edges

Microwaved for 90 sec which got the internal temp to 175F

Sprayed with Pam then airfried in the Breville at 425F for 12 minutes.

Result was better. Cooked through...crispy surface...nothing burned.

Almost there

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

We have a Tefal Actifry which I thought was an air fryer.  I grew up on latkes so was interested in this topic.  The pictures above indicate that perhaps our device isn’t an air fryer at all.  There is no basket with our Tefal, more a pan with a paddle in the centre which rotates.  We often take the paddle out to cook larger stuff than chips, stopping the machine to turn stuff by hand.  Makes for less mess than cooking sausages and similar in the oven.

I’m thinking this might make good latkes, has anyone tried in a similar device? 

17 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@DianaB   This might be of interest.  Can you turn the paddle off?

http://www.crispyandgolden.com/oil-less-and-air-fryers/

They didn't rate the Breville?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/02/2018 at 11:07 PM, Okanagancook said:

@DianaB   This might be of interest.  Can you turn the paddle off?

http://www.crispyandgolden.com/oil-less-and-air-fryers/

The first picture Tefal device is the same as ours.  The paddle is removable as this is necessary for cleaning.  When cooking anything in the device that is too fragile for the paddle we leave it out and cover its mechanism with an upside down ramekin to protect the spindle etc from any grease splashes.  It cooks sausages or bacon well in this mode and that means we need to spend less time cleaning the hob or the oven.  Everything from the Tefal that needs washing goes in the dishwasher.

• Like 1