• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tempering machine suggestions needed

DJ Silverchild

I make shell molded truffles.  After my neck fusion, shaking out chocolate from the molds is difficult at best.  I went to a local chocolate shop and they have a Savage Brothers temperer with a vibrating machine built in over the bowl.  They flip the mold over, turn the vibrator on, and dump the chocolate that way and it looks wonderful.  They also double wall these truffles.  That machine is $50,000 I'm told.

I need a bigger tempering machine than what I have as well.  I currently use a Revolation Delta and I love it.  I'd get the 3Z but it doesn't have a vibrating machine build in.   I prefer to buy used.

I need suggestions that are in the $5000-$8000 range if they even exist.  I'm self taught so any advice would be helpful.

20 minutes ago, DJ Silverchild said:

I need a bigger tempering machine than what I have as well.  I currently use a Revolation Delta and I love it.  I'd get the 3Z but it doesn't have a vibrating machine build in.   I prefer to buy used.

I need suggestions that are in the $5000-$8000 range if they even exist.

I'm not sure they exist.  Bigger than a revolation but presumably still tabletop, with a vibrating table? 20kg capacity, 50?

I'm always amused when I look at chocolate equipment and wonder why there isn't more in the 10-20kg capacity range. 20-50 kg seems so huge when you do everything by hand, then I scroll down to the giant industrial melting tanks and realize that even 50kg at a time is still really small scale when you think about it.  There are some smaller Selmis or similar continuous tempering machines, but not in that price range.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

You may want to consider getting a standalone vibrating table -- a number of manufacturers make them, TCF has a few https://www.tcfsales.com/products/c72-vibration-tables-remove-air-bubbles/. If you select one of the tables with a grid to the side (and it is the right size & height) you may be able to have the excess chocolate shake into a 3Z temperer. 

I would also suggest the following -- instead of a new tempering machine: a standalone vibrating table, a melter (great for shaking chocolate into & keeping tempered chocolate in temper), and an EZTemper unit. This combo should be less than $4,000 with all new equipment. Now, if you can locate a used Selmi, that might be an even better solution for your shop.  So many variables to consider when making a decision. Be aware that the older Selmis require 3-phase power and that the newer Selmis are built in two different configurations (3-phase and regular residential power).

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Thank you everyone for your advice.  Now I just need to choose a model of stand alone vibrator and am wondering if anyone has experience with these models:

TCF has two:
https://www.tcfsales.com/products/1224-chocolate-vibration-table-with-grid/
https://www.tcfsales.com/products/251-chocolate-vibration-table-with-grid/

and I found this one as well.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Stainless-steel-Electric-chocolate-vibration-table_60430093953.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.14.4c869912IdoSJi

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have experience with the Design & realisation TF 20?  I just found a used one locally, don’t really need it but the price is so low it seems dumb to resist. Any known issues with these I should be aware of?  Seller says ‘appears to work’ but seller is not a chocolatier so may not know what they have. 

thanks! 

never mind, I went ahead and snagged it - don't really need another melter but couldn't pass up a good deal

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hello friends.

I am considering upgrading from my Chocovision Revolation V to a continuous tempering machine with more capacity. I like what I've read about the ICB Chocotemper machine (thinking of the smaller 5kg machine). Does anyone have any experience with the Chocotemper? I'd love to hear some first hand reviews.

Advice and suggestions always welcome. Thank you!

Edited by sbain (log)

Pomati makes a 5kg continuous tempering machine called the T5 for about US$5,000.

Also, FBM and Chocolate World both make excellent tempering machines in sizes similar to Selmi at a lower price point.  TCF Sales is the main source in the US. 

• Like 1

Not sure that they have an 11kg.  The T10 is 13kg and I believe is around $12K list price..  It is not a table top unit like the T5.  It is a unit similar to the Selmi in size. But if I were going for one of the larger units (meaning not the tabletop 5kg unit), I would go with FBM or Chocolate world over Pomati. Service will be much easier if needed.

** I just realized you were probably referring to the ICB 11kg machine.  TCF has that on their website for $8215

Edited by Bentley (log)
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

I think 5kg is too small. How much is the 11 kg model?

I'm looking at both the 5kg and 11kg ICB machines. TCF offers them for $6,875 and $8,215 respectively. Surprisingly they are close to the same size (both tabletop machines, which I like, and just a few inches difference in dimensions). The advantage of the 11kg is that there is an enrobing attachment if I ever go that route. Honestly I think a 5kg machine might be enough for me (I am only doing small-batch production so far). I'd still love to talk to a person who has actually used one of the ICB Chocotemper machines before I make a purchase. Anyone know someone who has some hands-on experience with one? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bentley said:

Pomati makes a 5kg continuous tempering machine called the T5 for about US$5,000.

Also, FBM and Chocolate World both make excellent tempering machines in sizes similar to Selmi at a lower price point.  TCF Sales is the main source in the US. 

I've talked to some people with the Pomati 5 kg - they suggest that if you are really good at doing your own work on machines you'll probably get along fine with it - otherwise it will be nothing but a source of frustration. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/13/2020 at 10:01 PM, sbain said:

I'm looking at both the 5kg and 11kg ICB machines. TCF offers them for $6,875 and $8,215 respectively. Surprisingly they are close to the same size (both tabletop machines, which I like, and just a few inches difference in dimensions). The advantage of the 11kg is that there is an enrobing attachment if I ever go that route. Honestly I think a 5kg machine might be enough for me (I am only doing small-batch production so far). I'd still love to talk to a person who has actually used one of the ICB Chocotemper machines before I make a purchase. Anyone know someone who has some hands-on experience with one? 

@sbain Did you ever get a ICB Chocotemper? Would also be curious to hear what kind of issues there are in general or especially with these machines that @Kerry Beal was referring to? Is there a significant difference between for example a Selmi (or some other brand that has tabletop ones) and a ICB machine?

• 5 months later...

An update: I've taken a job consulting other cannabis companies on edibles production and I am right back to this question!
We are leaning tiowards an FBM system with separate tanks to melt and mix the chocolate, and a 25 or 45kg continuous tempering machine to do that work.

Has anyone had experience with FBM, good or bad?

I have experience with one of their depositors and it worked really well. Once I had to contact the customer service for a small trouble and they were efficient. But a depositor is not a tempering machine, and the customer service for Italy is different than the one for the USA.

Teo

Teo

I would say that folks in north america who have had issues with an FBM have had a lot trouble with service. There is one FBM machine that has not worked well for anyone but I can't recall which model it was.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for waking up an old subject, but the original question was never answered here, and now it’s my turn to consider one of these machines. 

Is there anyone with experience with the ICB machine mentioned in the beginning of this tread?

ICB Chocotemper Top 5,5kg or 11 kg with or without the belt enrober Link

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2023 at 6:15 PM, Corny said:

Sorry for waking up an old subject, but the original question was never answered here, and now it’s my turn to consider one of these machines. 

Is there anyone with experience with the ICB machine mentioned in the beginning of this tread?

ICB Chocotemper Top 5,5kg or 11 kg with or without the belt enrober Link

I see you asked about an ICB specifically. I don't have and ICB, but I do have a Dedy 30kg capacity I'm selling. It has the central wheel tempering unit with spout you can use for shell molding, then add the mesh belt and connect the take-off table and you can enrobe. It does not have a built-in vibrating table; I purchased a separate one by DR Canada. Please email me directly if you are interested in the Dedy. I retired last August and have slowly been selling off my equipment. casey@20degreeschocolates.com

Best of luck!