• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

PFox

PFox

Here's the original recipe: Brown Butter Caramels  

I cooked it to about 250 F, about the hard ball stage. It hold's it form to a point, but the top layer starts to melt and sticks to anything around room temp. Making eating the caramels a mess. People want to put it in their hand or pocket and it starts going through the packaging.

I was thinking adding less butter, or maybe using condensed milk? I'm trying to make some more adult flavored caramels, meaning not making it too sweet. My version on the recipe is I usually slightly burn the sugar ,and the butter, to a darker color then add in a dash of whiskey for a smoky taste.

But it's super tough to cut through when frozen, but once I got the knife hot it started losing it's form. When I packaged them into wax paper to started sticking to the opening making it difficult to eat. 

I sadly don't have any pictures, but I think I will remake them and post them on here later to get a better picture of what I'm talking about. 

PFox

PFox

Here's the original recipe: Brown Butter Caramels  

I cooked it to about 250 F, about the hard ball stage. It hold's it form to a point, but the top layer starts to melt and sticks to anything around room temp. Making eating the caramels a mess. People want to put it in their hand or pocket and it starts going through the packaging.

I was thinking adding less butter, or maybe using condensed milk? I'm trying to make some more adult flavored caramels, meaning not making it too sweet. My version on the recipe is I usually slightly burn the sugar ,and the butter, to a darker color then add in a dash of whiskey for a smoky taste.

But it's super tough to cut through when frozen, but once I got the knife hot it started losing it's form. When I packaged them into wax paper to started sticking to the opening making it difficult to eat. 

I sadly don't have any pictures, but I think I will remake them and post them on here later to get a better picture of what I'm talking about.