• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello from Vegas

PFox

Hey there eG!

I'm currently in Vegas trying to start a whole new chocolate and confections business. I've been working on this company over a year and a half self-taught. I would like to share ideas, network, and collaborate with fellow eG members. I still have a lot to learn and hopefully I can get some solid advice from my fellow people. I like coming up with new ideas and taking desserts to the next level. I would love some starter-business advice, and I want to learn chemistry for baking. I would love recommendations for books, or text books about baking. School is super expensive and until I can pay for school with my company I try to learn through books and recourses. 

Hope to chat with some of you soon! 

-Fox

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PFox said:

@Kerry Beal I would love to attend one of your workshops, but spring/summer I can't leave Vegas because I'm still setting up stuff for the company. Maybe if you could do skype or online classes, I might look into that. 

Too bad - we've held the workshop in Vegas a couple of times now - we will have to wait for the Lotus of Siam to open again before our return!

@Kerry Beal Vegas needs more teachers down here. I asked Sur La Table to help me direct me to chocolatier class, but the teacher only had limited amount of space, and it was a reservation for 4 months in advance and it was a couple grand a course. Although she worked in the Bellagio, so she was just super hard to book for me because of my schedule.

If you're ever down here, or would like to come down let me know. I would like to take a workshop here. I wish there was more around. 

1 hour ago, PFox said:

@Kerry Beal Vegas needs more teachers down here. I asked Sur La Table to help me direct me to chocolatier class, but the teacher only had limited amount of space, and it was a reservation for 4 months in advance and it was a couple grand a course. Although she worked in the Bellagio, so she was just super hard to book for me because of my schedule.

If you're ever down here, or would like to come down let me know. I would like to take a workshop here. I wish there was more around. 

Our DIY workshop is held yearly - we teach each other what we know - keeps the cost down significantly. You'll be hard pressed to find anything as inexpensive. But you have Melissa Coppel there - you could do a course with her.

• Like 1