• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentine's Day Plans??

gulfporter

Gave up eating out on Valentine's Day in the US decades ago....overpriced and too crowded.....reservations for dinner in DC-Metro had to made soon after Xmas. 

Here in Mexico, Dia del Amor y la Amistad (friendship) is getting a little more traction over the past 10 years.  There are a lot of winter expats where we live, and so local eateries will offer Valentine's Day dinners.  We still stay home for it here, preferring to buy a special wine and make a meal together (or buy some ready made special treats).

This year we will be in airports and in-flight most of the day.  While we'll be in first class, we don't have high expectations especially for the domestic leg of our trip.  

What are your plans this Valentine's Day?

Ugh. Valentine's Day out is the worst.

Usually we opt to stay in and have pizza and beer and a movie. If I have time, I'll make a dessert. This year, DH has graciously agreed to give up the movie in favour of us (me) watching Olympic women's hockey (CAN vs USA!!).

I'm making gochujang chicken wings and a sticky toffee pudding for dessert.

• Like 3

I think we'll be opening the bubbly that's been chilling, unopened, since New Year's Eve.  O.o

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Going to make coquille St. Jacques, with an add-on lobster tail; duck fat roasted potatoes, and baked apples in cinnamon red hots. Chocolate covered strawberries for dessert. I probably should have a green thing, but I don't have anything here, I don't think. Maybe some frozen green peas.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My sweetie is keto-ing, regrettably, so that rules out most treats and eating-out meals. So instead I'm taking her out for a bit of retail therapy, and probably there's some sort of avocado-based chocolate mousse in tonight's plans. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Lonely table just for one........Ughhh, it kind of got crowded later.......  

We pigged ourselves with the usual nibbles: Mousse de Foie Gras sur Canapés, Buratta Feuilletés, Calamars Frits, Feuilleté de Pommes de Terre et Petits Chèvres and had to skip the mains to hit the Dessert Trolley:

-  Ananas Caramélisés Renversé

bX4h1IF.jpg

-Tarte aux Pommes

ZIut6LG.jpg

- Crème Caramel Renversée aux Abricots

IBCK7S4.jpg

- Cheesecake a La Mangue et Fruit de la Passion

wnfYFNC.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 1

Decided to have dinner at home tonight...NY Strip (Thanks to our own cattle!),  steamed broccoli with butter; Baked potato and hard rolls (for hubby). Then, we are going to venture into town to a local bakery to pick out num nums for desserts.  (I was doing well with lo-carb until hubby made that suggestion.)

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Had to run some errands this afternoon then decided to go out to linner at a local Asian restaurant.  It's neither Chinese nor Thai but an amalgam BUT having said that it offers some good food we love.   Johnnybird had the shrimp steamed dumplings with a ginger sauce and Pad Thai with shrimp.  We shared an order of scallion pancake also with a ginger dipping sauce.  I had an order of hot and sour soup (with extra vinegar as it is never balanced enough for me) and vegetable spring roll with a sweet and sour dipping sauce.  I also treated myself to a Thai iced tea.

For dessert I had made a dark chocolate pot de crème and topped it with some Amarena cherries.  

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites