• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

Yes, it is. Or at least knowing the water activity can provide an estimate of shelf life (about the only indicator there is, aside from just keeping ganache for a while and checking it for spoilage from time to time). Jean-Pierre Wybauw gives the following guide for how long a ganache can be safely kept: 

for an Aw greater than 0.85:  maximum of 3 weeks

for an Aw between 0.70 and 0.85:  maximum of 3 months

for an Aw between 0.65 and 0.70:  maximum of 9 months

for an Aw below 0.65:  "the ganache is microbially stable" (I'm assuming that basically means "forever")

I operate on the general principle that the Aw must always be below 0.85, with the goal of getting it as low as possible. In the U.S. some states have specific regulations that nothing at 0.85 or higher can legally be sold.

Jim D.

Jim D.

Yes, it is. Or at least knowing the water activity can provide an estimate of shelf life (about the only indicator there is, aside from just keeping ganache for a while and checking it for spoilage from time to time). Jean-Pierre Wybauw gives the following guide for how long a ganache can be safely kept: 

for an Aw greater than 0.85:  maximum of 3 weeks

for an Aw between 0.70 and 0.85:  maximum of 3 months

for an Aw between 0.65 and 0.70:  maximum of 9 months

for an Aw below 0.65:  "the ganache is microbially stable" (I'm assuming that basically means "forever")