• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
chromedome

Kickin' it Old School

I think what went into the barrel to start with is more important than the voyage .  But where a barrel is stored in a rickhouse does make a difference in the final product so location has its merit

They came up to the farmer's market in Wolfville when I lived there. I think it may have been my first market after moving to town, in fact. It was a special occasion of some sort, and the dozen or so local wineries were there, as well as a couple of microbreweries and Ironworks. I tasted their rum and one other thing, which eludes my recollection now...because I'd also tasted at a dozen wineries and two microbreweries. I remember it as a full-flavored rum, but I'm no Ed Hamilton to begin with and my recollection is a bit fuzzy. 

I didn't get much work done, that day. 

38 minutes ago, chromedome said:

They came up to the farmer's market in Wolfville when I lived there. I think it may have been my first market after moving to town, in fact. It was a special occasion of some sort, and the dozen or so local wineries were there, as well as a couple of microbreweries and Ironworks. I tasted their rum and one other thing, which eludes my recollection now...because I'd also tasted at a dozen wineries and two microbreweries. I remember it as a full-flavored rum, but I'm no Ed Hamilton to begin with and my recollection is a bit fuzzy. 

I didn't get much work done, that day. 

Ironworks?  For barrel hoops?

The distillery is located in what was historically a blacksmith's shop in the old part of town (Lunenburg is a well-preserved example of 18th-century British colonial architecture, and a UNESCO World Heritage site). 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this