• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

You shouldn’t have any issue with air in the cavity. If you vacuum seal them the vacuum will remove any air regardless of where it is. It’s not as if the cavity is anything like airtight. I have frequently vacuum packed whole chickens with no issues at all. 

Edited to add:

I would treat them as I would any food that you were trying to freeze quickly which would mean spreading them out in the freezer. Depending on how much room you have in the freezer, you might want to consider keeping a couple in the fridge and freezing a couple and then when those are frozen putting the ones from the fridge in there. 

Anna N

Anna N

You shouldn’t have any issue with air in the cavity. If you vacuum seal them the vacuum will remove any air regardless of where it is. It’s not as if the cavity is anything like airtight. I have frequently vacuum packed whole chickens with no issues at all.