• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

oofencocotte

oofencocotte

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Im wondering it the lip of the tagine might bump into the handle or the tawa

so that the T is off-set and not fit very well.

do you have any cast iron that's large enough to hold the tagine ?

I don't have anything cast iron. But it's a mini tagine pot for one person (I got two of them for free in a cooking class). It's about 10 inches across and the tawa is 12 inches. So no problem there. 

27 minutes ago, Smithy said:

If you have a wok ring, that will also work. For what it's worth, I've used my clay tagine directly atop the stove - both the electric coil type and the smooth-top ceramic type - with no ill effects. I am very careful to change heat slowly, though: low heat at first, then higher - and just as careful not to shock the tagine later by adding cold liquids.

I'm using gas so it's a direct flame. I don't have a wok ring but I do have one of these wok supports that I can rest the tawa on (it's too big for the tagine pot itself). Would this be better? It's just further away from the heat:

61AKQVbwmLL._SL1200_.thumb.jpg.1fd03b878c2c1904f29c36e3e5153385.jpg

On a side note, if autocorrect changes 'tagine' to 'tagging' one more time I'm going to start throwing clay pots at the computer :)

oofencocotte

oofencocotte

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

I don't have anything cast iron. But it's a mini tagine pot for one person (I got two of them for free in a cooking class). It's about 10 inches across and the tawa is 12 inches. So no problem there. 

26 minutes ago, Smithy said:

If you have a wok ring, that will also work. For what it's worth, I've used my clay tagine directly atop the stove - both the electric coil type and the smooth-top ceramic type - with no ill effects. I am very careful to change heat slowly, though: low heat at first, then higher - and just as careful not to shock the tagine later by adding cold liquids.

I don't have a wok ring but I do have one of these wok supports that I can rest the tawa on (it's too big for the tagine pot itself). Would this be better? It's just further away from the heat:

On a side note, if autocorrect changes 'tagine' to 'tagging' one more time I'm going to start throwing clay pots at the computer :)

oofencocotte

oofencocotte

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

24 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I don't have a wok ring but I do have one of these wok supports that I can rest the tawa on (it's too big for the tagging pot itself). Would this be better? It's just further away from the heat:

oofencocotte

oofencocotte

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

I don't have anything cast iron. But the tagine is a mini-one just for one person. It's about 10 inches across and the tawa is 12 inches. So no problem there. 

20 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I don't have a wok ring but I do have one of these wok supports that I can rest the tawa on (it's too big for the tagging pot itself). Would this be better? It's just further away from the heat: