• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canadian style seasoning ?

rotuts

I get most of my herb's and spices from Penzey's 

https://www.penzeys.com

( original  -  the 'shoot ' that sprouted  of some time ago has a very different Chicago Steak  .  many are very similar and CS is a main item for me )

if you get on their email list you get notices of free shipping on reduced ( $ 20 ) totals and free items.

and Sauer's

https://www.cfsauer.com

S has a very fine PrimeRibRub which I like a lot

and a Gold imitation vanilla that's fine for Brownies etc  ( for me any way )

which brings me to my question :

What is Canadian Style Seasoning ?

granted there is no one answer

Sauers has several Montreal Seasoningxs

and there is this :

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Canadian-Style-Steak-Seasoning

and this

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/247313/authentic-canadian-steak-spice-eh/

note the two Rx's are very different.

Eh ?

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

I've never heard of Canadian Style Seasoning.  Montreal Steak Spice yes,Canadian Style Seasoning, no.

Of course you have. It’s any seasoning you use so long as you apologize to the meat while you’re cooking it, eh?  

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

right now

I sure would appreciate an Old Style

Montreal  Schwartz's

Platter.   Medium Fat

extra pickle

http://www.schwartzsdeli.com

how is that for Bait and Switch ?

still   .....

why Montreal and why Canada  ?

P.S.:  have you seen those new-ish digital Curling Brooms , eh ?

Go Canada Curling !

ps i really did start the topic on the Spice Issue.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Hy's Steakhouse (which started in Calgary) has a seasoning salt sold as Hy's of Canada Seasoning Salt through McCormick Canada. It's still my husband's favourite when grilling a steak or burgers, but I don't think I've ever seen a full list of ingredients. You can buy it with or without MSG, though. Here's the bottle we currently have with us in Tucson, which shows a few of the ingredients. 

I don't think it's sold in the US except with huge mark-ups through Amazon or similar. We usually bring some with us. 

IMG_20180208_114259.thumb.jpg.9df00abff4e59c241a77760746eed003.jpg

IMG_20180208_114315.thumb.jpg.d6e2a9c1a768c530aa78a88bc7782591.jpg

• Like 1

Canadian seasoning? You mean the maple syrup, bacon and beer we put on everything? :raz:

What about quatre epices? Nutmeg, cloves, ginger, pepper (but I think some quatre epices blends sub in allspice for one of the other spices?). Used in tourtieres and other French Canadian dishes.

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

Of course you have. It’s any seasoning you use so long as you apologize to the meat while you’re cooking it, eh?  

Oui,  but it only really counts if you do it in both official languages.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Beebs said:

Canadian seasoning? You mean the maple syrup, bacon and beer we put on everything? :raz:

With undertones of moose and beaver, as well? ;)

• Haha 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I have no idea what it might be, unless it's a clone of Montreal Steak Spice (which I abominate, just for the record) and they're trying to differentiate themselves. It's hard to say. Maybe it's one of those things like "Canadian" bacon, a term used by Americans and mysterious to Canadians. Up here we call that back bacon, or peameal bacon if it's rolled in cornmeal, but it's eaten a lot less than the conventional variety. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I thought Canadian seasoning was gravy.  I'd be hard-pressed to name many things Canadians don't put gravy on. :P

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

You say that like it's a bad thing... :P

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

You say that like it's a bad thing... :P

Nope, not a bad thing at all... but only slightly in jest. I've often said if we could figure out a way to offer gravy on our salads at work without wilting the salads, we'd have a hit on our hands. :D

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

15 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Nope, not a bad thing at all... but only slightly in jest. I've often said if we could figure out a way to offer gravy on our salads at work without wilting the salads, we'd have a hit on our hands. :D

Ok I gotta ask... is the gravy thing more of a Eastern Canada thing? I don't see as much of the gravy-love here in BC (or Vancouver, at least). We're more likely to dump coffee on everything. 

44 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

When I was in university and occasionally ate in the student pub, The Downstairs John,  I would ask for gravy on my salad.  Everyone but me freaked out.  To each their own. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Beebs said:

Ok I gotta ask... is the gravy thing more of a Eastern Canada thing? I don't see as much of the gravy-love here in BC (or Vancouver, at least). We're more likely to dump coffee on everything. 

To be honest, I don't even know if it's a thing outside of the small, fairly remote and isolated town I live in. It was more a stab at humor than any attempt at actual helpful information.

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

When I was in university and occasionally ate in the student pub, The Downstairs John,  I would ask for gravy on my salad.  Everyone but me freaked out.  To each their own. :P

And sometimes those attempted stabs at humor bite you on the bum... :D

• Haha 2