• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Happy" Flatware

Porthos

One of my quirks in the kitchen is not believing in "happy flatware."  Once flatware comes out of the drawer and onto the table I consider it dirty whether it was used or not. Since I am the one who does the dishes, it only impacts me.

Also, I put the flatware handle-up in the dishwasher so that,, even though I just washed my hands, I only have to touch the handles when putting them way.

Anyone else who doesn't believe in happy flatware?

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

I must confess....if we don't use the utensil that I've laid out.....it goes right back in the drawer.

That's what happy flatware is.  I guess it comes from "happy I don't have to wash it," but I don't know for sure

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

If it's not used, it goes back in.  If I can't remember (because I've taken something out, got distracted, moved to do something else, came back, no clue where I was in the process), then it gets washed.  I find that I go through a whole 5 piece/8 person set (40 individual forks, knives, spoons) quickly enough, that I can't be wasting unused silverware.  I also don't care if I touch the eating part or the handle of the silverware when I am putting it away.

I think the only time I would concern myself to that degree is if I was caring for/feeding someone in the following categories: immuno-suppressed, severe food allergy, currently ill, getting over being ill..........um, that's all I can think of right now.

Beyond that, nah.

3 minutes ago, blbst36 said:

I think the only time I would concern myself to that degree is if I was caring for/feeding someone in the following categories: immuno-suppressed ...

My DW has a compromised immune system, not severe, but compromised.  Although I was an engineer by profession,  I think my awareness of public food service safety also influences me in my home.

My leadership role in a volunteer kitchen feeding 80 renaissance faire re-enactors is why I started studying California Food Service laws. Since we are not selling to the public I am not required to comply; common sense dictates that I should, and I do as best I can. If you're interested in more info on my ren faire cooking here's the Link.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;