• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Remote thermometers

IrishCream

What makes me nervous about the Radio Shack Remote Wireless BBQ Thermometer is that it seems to have a similar probe on a wire like the unit I ruined last year. Only the alarm part is wireless. If the grill gets too hot while the lid is closed that wire is going to get fried. Be careful with it.

Hmmm, all of the "remote" thermometers I've been researching seem to have this wire, even the maverick one. I don't think I've ever seen a completely remote, wireless one.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Hmmm, all of the "remote" thermometers I've been researching seem to have this wire, even the maverick one.  I don't think I've ever seen a completely remote, wireless one.

I don't think one exists. If anyone made them, I'm sure that Fluke would, but I couldn't find one.

I assume that it would be hard for the wireless signal to go through oven doors & smoker covers, etc. Of course, it could be done, but it would probably be cost-prohibitive for a consumer product.

Edit: grammar

Edited by MatthewB (log)

True. I assume with the ET-7 you can remove one of the probes if you only need one at a time?

Marlene

In order to create new food ideas we must begin to create new cooking tools. However if cooking is the transfer of heat and the presence of energy what tools are needed for a purpose without energy and what should the design of these tools stem from

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

I don't think one exists.  If anyone made them, I'm sure that Fluke would, but I couldn't find one.

I have seen them from other instrument companies. You are right they cost a lot and have other drawbacks. Like having to install the antenna in the oven, a 28V power supply. $428.00 for the basic set with three probes.

Living hard will take its toll...

I don't think one exists.  If anyone made them, I'm sure that Fluke would, but I couldn't find one.

I have seen them from other instrument companies. You are right they cost a lot and have other drawbacks. Like having to install the antenna in the oven, a 28V power supply. $428.00 for the basic set with three probes.

Well ok then, let's not get carried away here. I want a thermometer not a ham radio station :biggrin: I think it's time for a road trip to Buffalo this weekend. JC Penny's has the single Maverick probe.

Marlene

wht, good info.

Any links or more info on such products?

Last night, while cooking dinner, I was thinking about this thread. I wonder how they keep the transmitter electronics from overheating? 500*F oven & electronics? :wacko:

I had to go through 3 of the Williams Sonoma variety before I found one that would last for more than one or two uses. Finally though, I have one of theirs that seems to work quite well. I used it with a whole chicken roasted indirectly on a grill this past weekend and it came out perfecto.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

You can order the Maverick ET-7 (dual remote probes) here for US $75.

Thanks! I'll also be in Florida starting June 20th, so possibly I can pick one up in Orlando somewhere, (thus avoiding shipping charges :biggrin: )

Marlene

You can order the Maverick ET-7 (dual remote probes) here for US $75.

Thanks! I'll also be in Florida starting June 20th, so possibly I can pick one up in Orlando somewhere, (thus avoiding shipping charges :biggrin: )

Marlene, if you want the dual one, you'll be hard pressed to get a better price.

You might want to call there, ask for John, & inquire on shipping costs. (He's a really nice guy & he's carrying those as I asked him to order one for me & he decided to start carrying them in-stock.)

I just picked up one at Target for $12.00 Timer, Temp. and target temp with alarm. 32-385F range. The down side is there is no way to adjust the calibration. It seems a bit off on the low end. The probe has a spun wire sheath protecting it. Might be good for BBQ work.

Living hard will take its toll...

I just picked up one at Target for $12.00 Timer, Temp. and target temp with alarm. 32-385F range. The down side is there is no way to adjust the calibration. It seems a bit off on the low end. The probe has a spun wire sheath protecting it. Might be good for BBQ work.

WHT,

That should work well for BBQ'ing.

If you have a chance, it would be interesting to see how it does on temp compared to a standard digital meat thermometer, etc.

Let us know! :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all... this is my first post on this forum.

I thought some of you might be interested in a new remote thermometer (made by Redi-Chek), geared towards the smoking/BBQ crowd.

I got one of the prototypes a few weeks ago, and I'm pleased with the feature set.

There are a few photos and a short writeup of it on one of my web pages.

Note that I have no interest (financial or otherwise) in the company that makes these, nor do I sell them. However, some of the features of the new dual probe thermometer were implemented after some discussions I had with the manufacturer about things I'd like to see in a remote thermometer (backlight, low temperature alarms, etc)

Click here for more information and photos

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info Alan, now that's a remote thermometer designed to deal with a lot of different needs. My only question is what is the temperature limit of the wire between the unit and the probe? That seems to be where these types of things get damaged. In a smoker, the temp is pretty low, but can you use it while grilling at a higher temp?

Thanks for the info Alan, now that's a remote thermometer designed to deal with a lot of different needs. My only question is what is the temperature limit of the wire between the unit and the probe? That seems to be where these types of things get damaged. In a smoker, the temp is pretty low, but can you use it while grilling at a higher temp?

Rachel,

The Redi-Check is Maverick. The wires are rated to approximately 500 degrees F. (I think 471 to be precise.)

FWIW, I would *not* recommend using one of these when doing high-heat grilling. Just use a "regular" digital meat thermometer. (Though you might want to use a "grilling" one with a long handle.)

According to the manufacturer, the wire on the new probes are rated to 570° F (up from a previous 510°, I recall).

I agree that the probes should not be used for high temperature grilling.

I'm one of those odd people who cook outdoors on a Kamado ceramic cooker.

The Kamado can be used at a much wider range of temperatures than any of the thermometers I own (remote, wired, dial, etc.)

My cooking ranges from 170° F for beef jerky, to over 1,000° F for prime steaks.

So, it's up to me to make sure I don't use a wired probe at a temperature higher than its rating. There are some folk who wrap the wires in foil or heat resistant glass fiber, but you still have to make sure that you don't exceed the rating of the thermocouple at the tip of the probe.

Message edited to correct new probe temperature rating.--az

Edited by alanz (log)