• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Cook-Off 76: Consider the Schnitzel

David Ross

14 hours ago, chromedome said:

Meanwhile, back in the "unfortunate typos" department.... :P

My cooking is often a Schitzel! That gave me a good laugh. It should go in our food funnies discussion.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, heidih said:

Hhmm - I love when they lay it on a screen thing so it does not sog out. When I took kids unfamiliar with Japanese cuisine it was always the go to. "This is better than KFC". 

I've made up my own little custom screen.  Been doing it for years and then I saw some videos of how they do it in Japanese restaurants.  

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

This just appeared on Eater. https://www.eater.com/23550201/flash-fried-cutlets-how-to-make

The upshot is that the meat is breaded with only breadcrumbs, no egg and no flour.  They are doing it with a ground beef patty that might be more accepting of breadcrumbs  than a cutlet (as their title implies).

Now, I don't buy that flouring and egging is so onerous but this might be ok.  Has anyone tried this method?

15 minutes ago, gfweb said:

This just appeared on Eater. https://www.eater.com/23550201/flash-fried-cutlets-how-to-make

The upshot is that the meat is breaded with only breadcrumbs, no egg and no flour.  They are doing it with a ground beef patty that might be more accepting of breadcrumbs  than a cutlet (as their title implies).

Now, I don't buy that flouring and egging is so onerous but this might be ok.  Has anyone tried this method?

Through the years, I have breaded meatballs and recently the German frickerdeller. I don't think it improved the texture or the flavor. Hamburger is hamburger and sometimes less is better. I don't find breading with flour, egg and bread crumbs so tedious that I'm going to change. I love the texture and the puff that you get with the breading.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

They definitely seem to stress that it works much better with ground meat or with very thinly pounded meat. And if you pound chicken thinly it usually becomes ragged which would give something for the breadcrumbs to cling to. I think if I was really bothered by the egg and flour thing I would go the mayo way. 

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

I think if I was really bothered by the egg and flour thing I would go the mayo way. 

A curried chicken cutlet recipe from Korean American that I made recently used a mix of 1/4 cup mayo and 2T Dijon mustard as the first step, followed by seasoned panko (1.5t curry powder, 1t garlic powder, S&P in 1 cup panko)  It worked really well.  Easy to get a good coating and I liked the flavor the mustard added. The seasonings in the panko were a bit less successful as they settled out instead of staying mixed in.  Might be more effective to add them to the mayo mixture. But the mayo part was a win and I'll skip using eggs in the future. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'll skip using eggs in the future.

Do you feel that the crumbs stick as well with mayo? When I'm using eggs, I always let it set for a while to make the crumbs more cohesive. Are there any such recommendations when using mayo?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Do you feel that the crumbs stick as well with mayo? When I'm using eggs, I always let it set for a while to make the crumbs more cohesive. Are there any such recommendations when using mayo?

I've only done it once but they stuck very well.  I have seen recipes using mayo instead of eggs for breading that suggest letting it sit with the mayo for a while as you do with eggs.  The recipe I used didn't make that recommendation but it did say to flip the chicken in the panko several times, pressing down firmly to ensure an even coating and I think that step was helpful. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

*bump*

Some campground neighbors who became friends gave us a couple of schnitzels -- pounded, breaded and ready to cook -- with instructions. Their instructions on how to cook them were not terribly different from what we've seen uptopic here, but it gave me a chance to try again. It's been a while since I cooked schnitzel.

They gave us one chicken and one pork schnitzel. These had been pounded quite thin, then dusted with flour and coated with what they referred to as panko crumbs although they described getting a bread roll or baguette, toasting it to make it stale, then grating it on a box grater. Homemade panko. As far as we could tell, there was no other seasoning. Look how thin these were!

20230406_111316.jpg

Antonia also sent me a nice (although slightly blurry) video tutorial on cooking them. The instructions pretty much match the instructions described in this topic.

Put enough oil into the pan to come up about halfway on the schnitzel, and heat over medium heat until a very small piece of the coating (sacrificed for the purpose) will sizzle in the oil. That funny little star thingie in the picture below is the sacrificial sizzling.

20230405_200103.jpg

Put the schnitzels into the oil. Leave them alone for a few minutes, then check on the bottom. When they're browned, turn them gently to finish. (This is a difference between instructions given earlier in this topic; there was no discussion about washing the hot oil over the top of the schnitzel.)

20230406_103220.jpg

Serve and enjoy. We didn't make a sauce for these. 

20230405_201604-1.jpg

We had no leftovers for the morning, more's the pity. I'll have to revisit this procedure on my own.

Here's a reminder to the rest of you: Cook-Offs never die!

• Like 8

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I do veal/pork/beef/chicken "schnitzel" - none are actually a whole lot different - techniques to getting breading to stick is the same, bread crumbs, panko, cornmeal, crushed Corn Flakes, etc. etc. etc. . . .'

schnitzel is thin - it cooks very quickly.  which is key to 'luscious' schnitzel . . . over cooked thin schnitzel is aka 'shoe leather'

the sauces to 'BAM! it up' all differ.

• Like 2