• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Cook-Off 76: Consider the Schnitzel

David Ross

4 hours ago, rob1234 said:

I made schnitzel sandwiches last night. Pounded probably 3/4" pork loin to 1/8" and it stayed 1/8" after cooking. I pounded it a ton though.

I too have a schnitzel sandwich on my list!  I've been doing different variations on fast-food style chicken sandwiches for years, but for whatever reason never thought to do a schnitzel between a bun.  Sounds interesting.

That's one mighty-fine looking sandwich.  I'm wondering what the dressing is, looks like some sort of dill mayonnaise.  Their dressing helps me construct my schnitzel sandwich today as I've been tossing about ideas like Russian dressing or a bleu cheese mayonnaise.  I actually like the idea of dill maybe a good dose of lemon juice thrown into the mix and some paprika to loosely stay with some schnitzel seasonings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brucesw said:

The menu.

Looks very good but I'm wanting to see the meat pounded thinner (PTL on the brain, here :B).

I want one of everything on the menu, please. There are No Words for how much I love German and Central European cuisine.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Our family's preferred schnitzel—by far— has always been venison dusted with flour containing salt and pepper, pounded flat, and fried in butter!

Adapted, over time, in my paternal grandmother's family—who came from the Palatinate of the Rhine.

I grew up on the stuff!

It's my preferred way of eating venison—I love it!

• Like 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

My attempt at using chicken schnitzel in a sandwich had high hopes, but fell off the ladder for the most part.  I've been making various takes on a fried chicken sandwich for years, always trying to look for the best fry on the chicken, always experimenting with the best sauce.  While this schnitzel sandwich was good, I think I put in too many other garnishes and muddied up the flavor of the schnitzel.  In the end I think I prefer just a plain traditional schnitzel with a twist of lemon, maybe a sauce served on the side.

I did the chicken like the first pork schnitzel I presented-flour, egg and fresh bread crumbs, then fried in canola oil until crispy.  A local bakery makes this wonderful dark Bohemian rye.  Not only is it flavorful, but sliced thicker than any of the other commercial rye and European breads we can get.  The sauce was made up of mayo, dill relish, fresh dill, dried dill weed, celery seed, caraway seed, chopped capers and salt and pepper.  The garnishes were sliced iceberg lettuce, tomato, red onion and sliced cucumber. 

A good sandwich, just not something I'll make again if I want a schnitzel.

005.JPG

010.JPG

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, David Ross said:

Or a clean chin. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

49 minutes ago, David Ross said:

While this schnitzel sandwich was good, I think I put in too many other garnishes and muddied up the flavor of the schnitzel.  In the end I think I prefer just a plain traditional schnitzel with a twist of lemon, maybe a sauce served on the side.

Found the same thing. I put mayo, mustard, pickled jalapenos, cheese, and small amount of bacon on mine. For leftovers I just put the schnitzel in a bun by itself.

• Like 1

I do not recall what the Portland food truck schnitzel sandwich was garnished with.  Probably not much because the meat was very thick and I had trouble getting my mouth open wide enough to bite it:o

i agree your sandwich might be better on the simpler side.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rob1234 said:

Found the same thing. I put mayo, mustard, pickled jalapenos, cheese, and small amount of bacon on mine. For leftovers I just put the schnitzel in a bun by itself.

That’s what I’ll do next time. No dark bread just an onion roll, schnitzel and mayo. Last week I refrigerated a schnitzel thinking it wouldn’t be crispy in the morning. It was still crispy but chilled so I think that might be delicious in a sandwich 

• Like 1

So, out looking for a pork cut I wanted to use.  Stumbled into the bargain bin --bone in pork steak 1.09 /lb

And so it began  ( Pounded, jaccarded and rubbed with mustards and Horseradishs ) rested this way about an hour

5a8576f3121f8_40177804342_1c13a8441b_z1.jpg.719ce0f64ca6a57354eefdd136b79f1a.jpg

Then the breading ( standard method )--I used Progresso and (YES ) I added Shake an Bake ( extra crispy ) as the crumb

5a8577ac18b44_39313429725_3b99c06a19_z1.jpg.add56eac95fab00aa1e58d7ecfb092f2.jpg

Rested 4 hrs or so till dinner/  then into cast iron with Butter

5a8577e98e6c4_26340213018_a4fc5a3a9d_z1.jpg.aa5e57c25eefe24a1f907fa1b7fb527d.jpg

Plated: Smashed red potato with topping sour cream chive, parsley onion , lemon juice/ I made green apple sauce / steamed broc/ and a slice of lemon to finish

5a8578588cf5c_39501366184_1494a75b39_z1.jpg.1caa12389d87d807de26a949a2afeb63.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 4

Its good to have Morels

13 hours ago, David Ross said:

That’s what I’ll do next time. No dark bread just an onion roll, schnitzel and mayo. Last week I refrigerated a schnitzel thinking it wouldn’t be crispy in the morning. It was still crispy but chilled so I think that might be delicious in a sandwich 

My recollection is that the tenderloin sandwich I had in Indiana had only mayo and lettuce on it. May have had tomato, I don't recall. 

Sure was good, though.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

18 hours ago, David Ross said:

My attempt at using chicken schnitzel in a sandwich had high hopes, but fell off the ladder for the most part.  I've been making various takes on a fried chicken sandwich for years, always trying to look for the best fry on the chicken, always experimenting with the best sauce.  While this schnitzel sandwich was good, I think I put in too many other garnishes and muddied up the flavor of the schnitzel.  In the end I think I prefer just a plain traditional schnitzel with a twist of lemon, maybe a sauce served on the side.

I did the chicken like the first pork schnitzel I presented-flour, egg and fresh bread crumbs, then fried in canola oil until crispy.  A local bakery makes this wonderful dark Bohemian rye.  Not only is it flavorful, but sliced thicker than any of the other commercial rye and European breads we can get.  The sauce was made up of mayo, dill relish, fresh dill, dried dill weed, celery seed, caraway seed, chopped capers and salt and pepper.  The garnishes were sliced iceberg lettuce, tomato, red onion and sliced cucumber. 

005.JPG

010.JPG

This definitely looks awesome and I am sure it tasted really good too.   Can you provide some more information on the sauce you used.  Even though ingredients were listed how did it turn out and did it go well with the sandwich?  Appreciate it. 

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

In the Midwest we call these things " Pork tenderloins "

Pork Cutlet (  Center cut here  ) and Cornflake Breading  Make bigger than the Bun and only Mustard/onion and Pickle--Side of Chips

24995014411_098492d1ad_k.thumb.jpg.b59924cb8d3d099b4dd8a7e2432b2f40.jpg

Likey this:

6449510289_4a86dc67ba_o.thumb.jpg.5aa1a57ec1eecaf0647b5b3c8f53da36.jpg

• Like 9

Its good to have Morels

6 hours ago, Pooya Khodadadi said:

This definitely looks awesome and I am sure it tasted really good too.   Can you provide some more information on the sauce you used.  Even though ingredients were listed how did it turn out and did it go well with the sandwich?  Appreciate it. 

The flavors in the sauce were really fresh, like a homemade tartar sauce.  It was heavy on the dill, and I'd make it again to serve on the side with a schnitzel, or even better, it would be a delicious sauce for any kind of fish dish, sautéed, broiled, fried.

• Like 1

E8561E18-E100-48D6-9D1E-93292271CF66.thumb.jpeg.1dedc6e5d463b8019e5ceb6abaea398f.jpeg

First Pork Tenderloin Cutlet out of the pan. The pork was butterflied and pounded thin; marinated in buttermilk, a bit of flour and spices; and after spending several hours in the refrigerator, breaded in a combo of Panko and cornmeal.

3B674AFA-8623-46EB-B765-6D416C86357D.thumb.jpeg.85db2acb54c60cf0d0dd17a3818ac25c.jpeg

Second Cutlet almost done (frying in lard)

7CDDC219-7A51-4048-8DFC-33CC574A1631.thumb.jpeg.36900d448b7b1fbd867e1331438b857a.jpeg

Pork Tenderloin Sandwich (toasted Ciabatta bun, mustard, mayo, onion and tomato) served with Cole Slaw (no photo - I forgot!)

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 12

Chicken schnitzel tonight.  i originally bought those cutlets in order to make chicken piccata.  I figured the piccata sauce would go well with a schnitzel treatment.

I made a breading of bread crumbs, Hatch red chili powder, sweet paprika and corn meal.  Then the chicken cutlets, which had been resting after salting for an hour or two, went through this sequence:

a) dredge in flour

b) dredge in an egg/water mix

c) dredge in breading

d) pan-fry in hot oil

It took under 3 minutes per side.  After each schnitzel was cooked, I put it atop a rack over a plate in the oven, to stay warm without getting soggy.  (Thanks for that tip about the cooling rack, @David Ross,)  When they were all done, I wiped the pan clean of the grease and breading bits, then made a butter/caper/lemon sauce in the pan. This sauce decorated the schnitzels as well as the asparagus that I'd cooked separately.

There were only two problems with this dish:

1. I forgot about swirling the pan. The coating tasted good and had a nice crunch, but wasn't as light as crispy as it might have been. I need more practice there.

20180215_211421.jpg2.

2. We're arguing about the leftovers.  This stuff is nearly irresistable!

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

One--- Now closed restaurant  " Harr's Waterloo " ..  Used to make a veal Schnitzel  which had a sauce on top.  Before they closed we went out to get some info on the

" special sauce "  :).

All I got from the server was it had cheese in it.

So , I suspected it was a Morney sauce.  The sauce was light brown and had a touch of sweetness, they sprinkle Paprika on top of it.  I spec so mustard was add.  Any ideas.

Thoughts?  Which cheese.

TIA  Paully

Its good to have Morels

38 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

Thoughts?  Which cheese.

In Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany "Kochkäse" as a sauce on Schnitzel is common. It gets dusted with paprika powder before serving (sometimes raw onion is added as well ...). Any chance that description fits ?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Duvel said:

In Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany "Kochkäse" as a sauce on Schnitzel is common. It gets dusted with paprika powder before serving (sometimes raw onion is added as well ...). Any chance that description fits ?

Possible--  I notice it has the sweet component.  Which kinda had me

Its good to have Morels

I was in the pub and taking a break from reading my book. Old food mag has something about Schnitzel but nothing new and interesting to me.

cXgaZRl.jpg

Some tips and info.

xDFWBGL.jpg

No air pockets then no Schnitzel.

iBunEI5.jpg

Might check out this place when I go to Vienna. Want to try a properly made Schnitzel at the source.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

Might check out this place when I go to Vienna. Want to try a properly made Schnitzel at the source.

I haven't been there myself, so I can't anything about the quality of the Schnitzel, but they use all the proper ingredients. (It's a bit too tourist-y for my tastes. The original restaurant of the same name was destroyed in 1945 and the new Meissl & Schadn opened six months ago.)