• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Okanagancook

Okanagancook

I am not an expert about this...I just read about evercrisp and thought it would be fun to play with.

I looked in Modernist Cuisine, vol 3,  starting on page 314 ...worth a review.  They use Trisol, Texturas brand in both batters and breading. Texturas’ website says their product is mainly for batters whereas Evercrisp says theirs can be used in both breading and batters.  Both are wheat dextrins ...probably different size dextrins.

that’s the best I can do.

From Texturas website:
‘Is a soluble fibre derived from wheat, especially recommended for the preparation of frying batter and tempura, the result being a crunchy, not at all oily, texture. It is also perfect as a substitute for sugar in the preparation of doughs for biscuits.’
Okanagancook

Okanagancook

I am not an expert about this...I just read about evercrisp and thought it would fun to play with.

I looked in Modernist Cuisine, vol 3,  starting on page 314 ...worth a review.  They use Trisol, Texturas brand in both batters and breading. Texturas’ website says their product is mainly for batters whereas Evercrisp says theirs can be used in both breading and batters.  Both are wheat dextrins ...probably different size dextrins.

From Texturas website:
‘Is a soluble fibre derived from wheat, especially recommended for the preparation of frying batter and tempura, the result being a crunchy, not at all oily, texture. It is also perfect as a substitute for sugar in the preparation of doughs for biscuits.’
Okanagancook

Okanagancook

I am not expert about this...I just read about evercrisp and thought it would fun to play with.

From Texturas website: