• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

4 hours ago, David Ross said:

I saw an episode of an Andrew Zimmern show the other night where he was traveling through the German countryside.  One local dish was a schnitzel made out of carp.  I thought that was odd, but in checking this morning it's a popular dish in Germany and the Czech Republic. Sometimes they score the fish before frying it, so in my mind since it's not a flat filet that wouldn't really be a schnitzel would it?

It could be either fillets or whole. Does it look like this? It's not called "carp Schnitzel", however. Official name in this region is "fried carp Franconian style". It contains beer, egg, flour. I had something similar in Czech Rep. but not a whole fish like this.

I1dIUQV.jpg

It's a speciality of Franconia (a region in Bavaria state). I ate it in Dinkelsbühl (in Middle Franconia), a beautiful little town, a small version of stunning and super touristy Rothenburg ober der Tauber. Dinkelsbuehl is proud of its fish/carp

The crust is nice and crunchy. How it's made (using fillets): wash the carp halves and pat dry. Stir flour, beer, oil/butter, egg yolk and spices in a large bowl. Beat the egg whites until firm and lift them under the dough. Mix everything well, so that it creates a slightly liquid dough. Turn the carp halves well, place in the heated butter and fry until golden brown.

EUCgwoi.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

4 hours ago, David Ross said:

I saw an episode of an Andrew Zimmern show the other night where he was traveling through the German countryside.  One local dish was a schnitzel made out of carp.  I thought that was odd, but in checking this morning it's a popular dish in Germany and the Czech Republic. Sometimes they score the fish before frying it, so in my mind since it's not a flat filet that wouldn't really be a schnitzel would it?

It could be either fillets or whole. Does it look like this? It's not called "carp Schnitzel", however. Official name in this region is "fried carp in the in Franconian style". It contains beer, egg, flour. I had something similar in Czech Rep. but not a whole fish like this.

I1dIUQV.jpg

It's a speciality of Franconia (a region in Bavaria state). I ate it in Dinkelsbühl (in Middle Franconia), a beautiful little town, a small version of stunning and super touristy Rothenburg ober der Tauber. Dinkelsbuehl is proud of its fish/carp

The crust is nice and crunchy. How it's made (using fillets): wash the carp halves and pat dry. Stir flour, beer, oil/butter, egg yolk and spices in a large bowl. Beat the egg whites until firm and lift them under the dough. Mix everything well, so that it creates a slightly liquid dough. Turn the carp halves well, place in the heated butter and fry until golden brown.

EUCgwoi.jpg