• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Thanks for the Melissa Clark article.  I'll be trying that recipe with my chicken cutlets.  One thing I have trouble visualizing is how to swirl the pan enough to wash hot oil over the top of the cutlet(s) without getting oil all over the stove and me.  Does anyone have tips on how to do that?  Is this a case where a straight-sided skillet might be better than one with curved or sloped sides?  Is the answer to how to do that swirling as simple as "very, very carefully"?

Here is a bit more detail she provides in her book In te Kitchen With a Good Appetite.  I visualize a proper ratio between thin cutlet and oil depth, noting her comment about enough room ----so a gentle swirl/wrist rotation.  SORRY bout the image rotation - they are correct before inserting!

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Thanks for the Melissa Clark article.  I'll be trying that recipe with my chicken cutlets.  One thing I have trouble visualizing is how to swirl the pan enough to wash hot oil over the top of the cutlet(s) without getting oil all over the stove and me.  Does anyone have tips on how to do that?  Is this a case where a straight-sided skillet might be better than one with curved or sloped sides?  Is the answer to how to do that swirling as simple as "very, very carefully"?

Here is a bit more detail she provides in her book In te Kitchen With a Good Appetite.  I visualize a proper ratio between thin cutlet and oil depth, noting her comment about enough room ----so a gentle swirl/wrist rotation

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG