• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blbst36

blbst36

2 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Flames under the coil of an electric burner suggest a dirty stove top.  It's obviously not a gas leak so there must have been some accumulated crumbs or oils that caught fire.

Can confirm.  If you lift the pan, you can usually see the fire.  The stove pan can either be scrubbed or tossed and a new one bought (I think they are relatively cheap). 

Another thing to watch for is smoking coming straight from the coil.  This will happen if you cook something splattery like bacon or spill something.  If it hits a coil, it will burn the next time you use it.  Personally, I either wipe it off, or let it burn away (if it's not a chunk of stuff).  It's never been enough to start a fire in my experience.

ETU - qualify which pan I mean when I say toss and bought.  Definitely not the cooking pan!!

blbst36

blbst36

55 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Flames under the coil of an electric burner suggest a dirty stove top.  It's obviously not a gas leak so there must have been some accumulated crumbs or oils that caught fire.

Can confirm.  If you lift the pan, you can usually see the fire.  The pan can either be scrubbed or tossed and a new one bought (I think they are relatively cheap). 

Another thing to watch for is smoking coming straight from the coil.  This will happen if you cook something splattery like bacon or spill something.  If it hits a coil, it will burn the next time you use it.  Personally, I either wipe it off, or let it burn away (if it's not a chunk of stuff).  It's never been enough to start a fire in my experience.