• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What causes lumpy chocolate & how do I fix it?

curls

So I've remelted some Valrhona Azelia that was extra from another project and even at 45° C the chocolate has small lumps. If I press a lump against the side of the melter (or between my fingers) it smooths out but I can't remove all the lumps that way. For tonight, I poured all the chocolate through a sieve and pushed the lumps thru with a silicone spatula. That solves the problem for today but I want to know, what caused those lumps in the first place? Also, if this happens again, is there a better way to correct the problem? I have never had this happen before with any couverture (including the Azelia) and hope you can tell me how I can prevent this from happening .

I find this when the chocolate has been melted and then set and been there a while (I don't think it's moisture as I vacuum seal my couvertures once they're set). Two ways I've fixed it: time, i.e. leave it for three days instead of one or hit it with a stick blender if you're time poor (like me)

The chocolate is a year old and was stored in sealed ziploc freezer bags. I would have hit it with a stick blender but mine broke and I haven’t replaced it yet. Glad to know that this has happened to other people.

Edited by curls (log)