• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Erik Saltwell

Looking for red-wine bacon sauce for steak

Years ago I was at a restaurant in Sonoma, CA and had a delicious bacon sauce with Filet Mignon.  The sauce tasted much like a pan reduction sauce but with intense bacon flavor.  Does anyone have any tips on how to reproduce something like this?

I would get some GOOD bacon (Benton, Nueske's, Petit Jean, etc.) and dice it up and render it until it was quite crispy, then take it out and set it aside. Then I'd add a couple of anchovy filets to the skillet, smush those up, and add red wine. Let it reduce by about half, add about as much half as much beef stock as you did red wine, and let it reduce some more. If you want it thicker, you can dip out some sauce, whisk in a little cornstarch, and add it back.

• Like 5

Wouldn't hurt to put some liquid smoke in there too

• Like 1