• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best way for a home cook to cook filet mignon?

Orbit

I am not a huge fan of the cut but back in my learning to cook days and going through Mastering the Art of French Cooking - my first attempt was tournedos Rossini - bacon wrappd medallions with Fois gras and truffle. Back then the latter 2 were from a "gourmet" market in cans.  The folks I served it to eons ago do still mention it. Here are my goofy notes back from around 1980!!!  At some point I may have added brined green peppercorns

IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_0510.JPG

• Like 2

Salt well a day before...Sear both side is a screaming hot pan with a little oil...say 30 sec per side. If you can't handle the smoking oil, put a 1/2 tsp salt in the pan to retard sticking instead of the oil

Then put them in a 325 F oven for enough time to get the center of each filet to 125 F...time will vary a lot by thickness, so try to get them the same thickness. If there's variation watch the thinner ones don't overcook.

At 125F take out of the oven and let them rest COVERED for 7 to 10 min and then serve. They'll rise to 130F which is MR.

So long as you take the temp after 5 minutes and then every min or two thereafter while in the oven, it is pretty foolproof.

You can also just keep it in the searing pan and flip frequently, but that's easier to screw-up

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Orbit said:

Medallions

Oh. That's different. 

It wont take long ...I'd cook them for a few minutes in whatever sauce you plan. Or just have them on a hot pan for a minute or two. 

• Like 1

Professional oven or not, you have a broiler?

I'd do them quickly, close under the hot broiler.

But being careful to yank them at about 120-125F and let them carry over finish as they rest.

that is, I'd do them that way if I didn't have an immersion circulator.

• Like 1