• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheesy Meatballs : Amazon (WF) vs Walmart in the NYT

rotuts

I found this article interesting , 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/02/business/economy/amazon-effect-meatball-edition.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fbusiness&action=click&contentCollection=business&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=6&pgtype=sectionfront

I was not able top google the article , as all the words in the title are common.

the NYT took an Rx , Superbowl cheesy Meatballs  and made two renditions :

one  using only Walmart ingredients  ( $ 27.18 )

the other using Amazon's WF  ( a new WF 365 in Brooklyn )  ( $ 45.17 )

then let the NewRoom try each and decided.  

the Chef who created the Rx calls them  " the Heart Stopper "

hope you can get around a paywall , or check your Cookies in your browser 

for review purposes only :

1.thumb.jpg.7b158e6ef6d25d58dc0a4dbf74a41fb7.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.dd8bdf9bd606fe3e53f0b4e347a837d5.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.4d34e3020358642d76e307eee25bcb6b.jpg

Edited by Smithy
Corrected title spelling (log)
  • Like 1

indeed.

if you are unable to view the article , 

the bottom line 

being a Business Section article :

"  But by the end of the day, the distinctions seemed to fade. Every meatball had been eaten. "

• Haha 1

I understand the hate for Walmart but it's not a bad store. If one can get over the stigma of "it's from Walmart" one can look pass the aisles of cheap crap and find amazing deals. Walmart has been my go-to for soy milk, cheap bread (their sandwich rolls are great), Halo-top, and Powerade. I've bought my entire Lodge Cast Iron Cookware from Walmart.

I go to Whole Foods a lot more than Walmart but only because it's a pleasure to shop in and it's next to Total Wine & More. A lot of their products are  only marginally better at twice the price. The big exception would be their produce, Whole Foods wins hands down, Walmart produce section is horrible.

Edited by Smokeydoke (log)

8 minutes ago, Smokeydoke said:

I understand the hate for Walmart but it's not a bad store. If one can get over the stigma of "it's from Walmart" one can look pass the aisles of cheap crap and find amazing deals. Walmart has been my go-to for soy milk, cheap bread (their sandwich rolls are great), Halo-top, and Powerade. I've bought my entire Lodge Cast Iron Cookware from Walmart.

I go to Whole Foods a lot more than Walmart but only because it's a pleasure to shop in and it's next to Total Wine & More. A lot of their products are  only marginally better at twice the price. The big exception would be their produce, Whole Foods wins hands down, Walmart produce section is horrible.

There are, indeed, reasons to go to WalMart. I try to go early in the morning, during the week, when the level of "people of Walmart" is lowest. I buy several OTC meds there, as they are much cheaper; shampoo and hair spray; cleaners.

I will also buy canned or bagged foods that are purchased from a wholesaler. What I will NOT buy is any kind of meat or fresh veggie. The quality is horrendous. 

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I bear Wal*Mart minimal ill-will.

The food I've bought there was good enough for most uses.

It was a big step up in selection and convenience for many people in small towns, which is great.

But their insistence on lower and lower prices from suppliers translates into crappy quality in lots of appliances.

I rarely go to Walmart. Not out of any sort of prejudice, just a matter of convenience... the closest one is over an hour away. But I did make a mental note of those meatballs. It's a long way off after tomorrow's game but it's never too soon to collect football season snack ideas.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I've never been in a Walmart, but then I've only been in WF twice.

Whole Foods was pretty.  I bought a lovely feather duster that I've used often for years.  And bulk chocolate that was inedible.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Taken as a whole I'd rather Wegmans than Whole Foods. Produce is much more diverse and as good. Meats and fish equivalent. Prices slightly lower. 

As it is I'm stuck with Acme and Giant and Gigante. Not like the 3rd world, but could be better

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Taken as a whole I'd rather Wegmans than Whole Foods. Produce is much more diverse and as good. Meats and fish equivalent. Prices slightly lower. 

As it is I'm stuck with Acme and Giant and Gigante. Not like the 3rd world, but could be better

Count your blessings.  I have Shoprite.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I am not a Walmart shopper, but I just made an exception when I discovered that I could have White Lily flour delivered to MN for  pickup at no extra cost. Soft lovely biscuits are now so much easier!! (and, you don’t even have to go inside to pick up!)

• Thanks 1

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

On 2/3/2018 at 3:15 PM, BeeZee said:

We call them the Wal-martians

Those are the residents of Bentonville, AR, where the WalMart headquarters is located.

Try living in a town of 10,000 where the largest employer employs a little more than 4,000. Mine was one of the few families that did not have an immediate member working for WalMart. (I just worked for Sam Walton's son, in one of his other businesses.)

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com