• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Tortilla Catering - Please advise on storage and reheating

philie

Hey there! 

I will be making a catering where tortillas are served as a starter. As i have to make 300 of them and do not have a proper reference, could you advise on how to properly store both, the dough and the then made tortilla and how to conveniently reread 300 tortillas for the actual catering day?

I have seen both, steaming and putting them back into a pan. Also it would be necessary for me to make ahead so it would be superb to know how to store without any problems ( drying out etc )

Thanks a lot for the help!

Corn or wheat flour?  Here in Los Angeles tortillas are our daily bread (both types). In markets they are stored in plastic bags - unrefrigerated. Its a simple product. What exactly are you serving?

hey there! we will make corn tortillas, actually blue corn tortillas. already ordered organic flour from Mexico.

i hope that helps. i read about making them putting them in a towel and then cooler to keep warm. if there is a need to rereat then putting them in water for a second and then on a griddle.

would that work?
all the best

32 minutes ago, philie said:

hey there! we will make corn tortillas, actually blue corn tortillas. already ordered organic flour from Mexico.

i hope that helps. i read about making them putting them in a towel and then cooler to keep warm. if there is a need to rereat then putting them in water for a second and then on a griddle.

would that work?
all the best

When I have purchased fresh tortillas from a local Mexican market they are stack and wrapped in standard paper wrapping but then held in a cooler to stay warm.  The towel will help too.  If they are fresh they are usually moist enough to not need any surface water before heating but just depends