• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jerusalem Artichokes

katzgar

Hello people. I'm looking for something called Jerusalem artichokes and I live in Prairieville Louisiana. I'm a diabetic and my understanding is that they are very good for diabetics. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's don't carry them. I can find them on Amazon or Ebay but they are really expensive. Should anybody know where to get them or even where to forage Jerusalem artichokes the information would be appreciated. Thank you.

They are out of season right now, and while they can be stored for a while, in my experience, they don't keep as well as other root vegetables. A local chain called Sprouts has them in AZ. That said, I'd scour every supermarket's specialty produce area for them, and, yes, they are often labelled as sunchokes. IIRC, a friend found some at a Walmart supermarket a few years back. Asking around at farmer's markets may be useful as well.They are super easy to grow, if you have access to some land. If not, check around for local gardening groups -many give away free produce in the summer. It's very easy to grow too many of these. Good luck!

I have come to realize that JA's need to be peeled account of dirt hiding in the coarse skin.  Once they are peeled there isnt much left.  I recently learned about Jicama which is aqvailable in my area at a relatively civil price of about 3.70/pound.  Jicama also fills the role as a potato substitute.

9 minutes ago, katzgar said:

I have come to realize that JA's need to be peeled account of dirt hiding in the coarse skin.  Once they are peeled there isnt much left. 

Don't peel. Use a rough steel wool pad to rub the thin skin off.

dcarch

• Like 2

I'd do a test dose of J-artichokes. The cramping can be dramatic. There are suggestions that chilling them helps since in the Spring they are most tolerable. I believe this was discussed a lot earlier t his year on eG.

23 minutes ago, heidih said:

I think it is in part genetic - like the cilantro soap taste,

We should do an eG study. I volunteer to be in the no choke control group.

• Haha 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

1 hour ago, cakewalk said:

Did it produce the same result?

It would. People can't metabolize inulin. Gut bacteria take over and hilarity ensues.

The native am. may have known when to harvest and how to prepare it safely though.