• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Light Diet

ElsieD

We had the coconut-lemongrass chicken bowls again that we had a couple of weeks ago.  This time, instead of using the slow cooker, I made it in the mini instant pot.  There are rice noodles in the bottom of the bowl and I added the carrots for colour.  The link to the recipe is below, in case anyone is interested.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/coconut-lemongrass-chicken-bowls#add-your-reviews

20180223_184541.jpg

• Like 5

A few recent meals:

Upside-down Shepherd's pie, Sweet and Sour Chicken and Chicken and Noodles in Peanut Sauce with Korean Spinach as a side.  (Oops- shown in reverse order.)

20180227_191220.jpg

20180226_193630.jpg

20180228_193132.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight we had the Citrus-Glazed Shrimp with Cilantro Rice. 

20180322_213122.jpg

My life circumstances lately require me to take frequent shortcuts, and one of these shortcuts involves not measuring carefully. By the time I was able to start working on this, I was not in a mood to measure 1/8 tsp of this and 1/4 tsp of that. I estimated. I also didn't have the specified chipotle powder; a red Hatch chile powder was the substitute. I had Mexican limes instead of Persian limes. In other words, I took liberties with this recipe.

Liberties or no, I was delighted with it and my darling liked it as soon as he added a dash of White Wine Worcestershire to the sauce. He always likes savory dishes and sauces sweeter than I do, so those Worcestershire-type condiments come in handy.

This one's a keeper.

• Like 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

A new-to-us recipe tonight.  Spicy fish cake (haddock and scallops) with risotto and a cucumber/carrot salad.  The fish cake was good, but I'm likely to add more chili garlic paste next time.  The cooking time given in the recipe was spot on.

@Smithy  I looked the recipe up for your shrimp dish and your dish looks saucier (is that a word?) than what I would have thought the recipe produced.  I like the look of the cilantro rice and plan on making it at some point.

20180323_195420.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@Smithy  I looked the recipe up for your shrimp dish and your dish looks saucier (is that a word?) than what I would have thought the recipe produced.  I like the look of the cilantro rice and plan on making it at some point.

Do remember that I took liberties. :-) I really don't remember whether I made extra sauce, but it's possible the proportions were off.  The surprising thing about the rice was that I could barely taste the cilantro.  My darling, who is not a cilantro lover but consented to trying this dish, thought it was good. He couldn't taste the cilantro either! :D

Your dinner, above this post, looks wonderful. I'll have to check out that recipe.

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 hours ago, Smithy said:

Do remember that I took liberties. :-) I really don't remember whether I made extra sauce, but it's possible the proportions were off.  The surprising thing about the rice was that I could barely taste the cilantro.  My darling, who is not a cilantro lover but consented to trying this dish, thought it was good. He couldn't taste the cilantro either! :D

Your dinner, above this post, looks wonderful. I'll have to check out that recipe.

Good to know about the cilantro.  One can never have too much cilantro!  If you do make the fish recipe, don't forget to add salt.  I find the CLD uses minimal to no salt.  I always add more.

• Like 1

I only make a couple of their lunch and breakfast items and this is one of them - pita pizza.  Quick to make and hits the spot. This is the Margherita pita pizza. 

The breakfast item I like is scrambled eggs with basil, goat cheese and tomatoes.

20180328_124138.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 4

We stick to more or less the same "dull" breakfasts and lunches every day, since I'm disinclined to cook (and clean up) for those meals and we have our easy preferences. For instance, breakfast or brunch is often fruit with toast and avocado (or cheese) for me; fruit salad and Cheerios for him. That said, they have some great-looking dishes for those meals and I've kept on the full plan for the sake of seeing them. The Margherita pita pizza looks like something I'd use for dinner. Thanks for that!

19 hours ago, Smithy said:

We stick to more or less the same "dull" breakfasts and lunches every day, since I'm disinclined to cook (and clean up) for those meals and we have our easy preferences. For instance, breakfast or brunch is often fruit with toast and avocado (or cheese) for me; fruit salad and Cheerios for him. That said, they have some great-looking dishes for those meals and I've kept on the full plan for the sake of seeing them. The Margherita pita pizza looks like something I'd use for dinner. Thanks for that!

John eats 2 of these while I have 1.  What is nice is you can put lots of low calorie stuff on them and it still doesn't amount to much in the way of calories.

We are not breakfast eaters, but will have breakfast type stuff for lunch sometimes.  I'll have Greek-type yogurt mixed with fresh pineapple with bran buds on top or the aforementioned eggs.  I'm also a fan of steel cut oats.  Today I am making a crustless fresh spinach and feta quiche.  Something that I eat a lot more off than I used to is fruit.  I never used to eat much of it now I am never without grapes, pineapple and mandarins.  Slowly but surely we are getting there.

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed a typo (log)
  • Like 1