• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Light Diet

ElsieD

2 hours ago, kayb said:

Which would be reason enough for me never to live in Duluth. Can't be without my okra!

I am a recent convert to okra.  The first time I had it, I thought, "Where have you been all my life"?

I've actually found a varietal that grows well here in Atlantic Canada. I think I'm gonna give it a shot this year. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I'd be lying if I claimed to be following this diet carefully so far, but I have been using it to (a) get a better grip on portion size again and (b) get some good new recipes.  Last night's stew was based on their Beef and Guiness Stew. There were substitutions.  I had purchased this interesting-looking bottle of Hangar 24 Chocolate Porter,

20180212_104002.jpg

and I'd purchased stew beef to go with it.  My take on their recipe involved less meat and beer, but potatoes instead of the parsnips and other root vegetables they prescribed.  I should look into the parsnips and turnips as a lower-carb substitute for spuds. I couldn't get excited about raisins in this stew, so they also stayed out.

This cousin of their recipe came out well, and I've bookmarked it for further experimentation.

20180212_103557.jpg

• Like 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

17 hours ago, ElsieD said:

After a few days of not following the CLD but staying within my calorie limits I'm back on the program.  Tonight we had a chicken dish, the link to the recipe if anyone is interested, is below.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/dak-bokkeum-spinach-korea

20180216_195927.jpg

It looks nice! What adjustment, if any, did you need to make because of substituting bok choy for spinach?  I believe that's what you said you'd done in the Dinner post about this.

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Smithy  I just cut the green part of the bok choy into ribbons maybe 1/4 inch wide and put it in the pan with the chicken after the 20 minutes cook time was up.  I wasn't sure how long it takes to cook bok choy but it worked out okay.  I have made this before using spinach and that I add as per the recipe.  I also had some of those little sweet peppers that I sliced and added.  We like this dish very much - I hope you give it a try.

• Like 1

I've added it to my list, thanks.

One of the things I like about the CLD is the array of recipes it throws my way.  I'm a big fan of canned tuna, but hadn't considered pairing it with avocado in a salad, as opposed to mixing a tuna salad and putting slices of avocado on the bread separately.  I took a page from their Tuna, Avocado and Pickled Onion Sandwich.  I hadn't gotten round to making the pickled onion yet, but I had capers.  I didn't want a whole sandwich, so I used crackers.  How close the calorie count is I don't know, but I'm satisfied and I KNOW the fat and carb count is lower than it would have been with my usual approach to tuna salad sandwiches.  

20180217_154916.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

This is slow cooker Thai Beef Curry with roasted sweet potato wedges.  Shichimi Togarashi sprinkled on the sweet potatoes.  Anyone else make anything from the CLD plan?

20180219_190534.jpg

I'm sorry you're feeling like the Lone Ranger. O.o I keep bookmarking things, especially based on what you post here.  FWIW I have the Chicken Verde Enchiladas up for tomorrow night, and a riff on their Braised Brussels Sprouts with Mustard and Thyme for tonight.

• Like 1

Braised Brussels Sprouts with Mustard and Thyme last night. This was good, but I didn't like the thyme in it.  I may have used too much.  Oddly, my darling liked it very much and he is not usually a thyme fan.  The instructions were very clear for braising to the tender-crisp point.  I thought this was very pretty in the pan!

20180220_075944.jpg

(The citrus was my own addition because I had leftover slices from the citrus chicken I was roasting.)

The sprouts did their usual drabbing after the sauce was added, so it wasn't as pretty on the plate.  It still tasted good.

20180220_080553.jpg

• Like 5

Tonight it was pork tenderloin with roasted apples and onions.  The recipe called for pork chops, but we prefer tenderloin.  The pork was cooked sous vide then seared.  We had it with red cabbage, panko/parm roasted potatoes and carrots in reduced white balsamic vinegar.

20180220_192530.jpg

• Like 6

@ElsieD, how critical do you think the gochujang sauce is?  I have sriracha and two varieties of Tabasco, as well as some Hatch chile salsas.  I'm reluctant to purchase yet another bottle of something if, say, the sriracha would be an acceptable substitute.

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

@ElsieD, how critical do you think the gochujang sauce is?  I have sriracha and two varieties of Tabasco, as well as some Hatch chile salsas.  I'm reluctant to purchase yet another bottle of something if, say, the sriracha would be an acceptable substitute.

@Smithy  I think the gochujang sauce is critical to the dish.  It is both sweet and spicy, but then you probably know that already.  As Heidi mentions, the addition of fermented bean paste in it is also a pretty big deal.  You could try mixing some miso, sriracha since you have it (I'd prefer sambal oelek) and some sugar or some sweet bean paste.  I'm not sure if that would give you an approxmation but that's what I'm thinking.  Korea  restaurants use vats of the stuff so if there is one around, chances are they would give/sell you a tablespoon or two.  That sauce was awesome - I plan on making up another batch of it to use on green beans.

• Thanks 1

We got around to making the chicken verde enchiladas, with a few liberties taken.  I didn't have salsa verde, but I had fresh tomatillos and some truly wonderful fresh tomatoes with which to make the simmered stuffing.  I had no cilantro because my darling doesn't like it.  I used chicken breast from a citrus-roasted chicken of a few nights ago.  The enchiladas were baked rather than broiled, so the cheese melted but didn't brown quite as well as I'd've liked.  Their picture is much prettier than mine!  Still, we liked the results. I've bookmarked this one to make again.

20180222_202934.jpg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Smithy  I just looked the recipe up.  Looks good.  How filling was it?

We both thought it quite filling.  The tortillas (and baking dish) I used only allowed 5 enchiladas, but I don't think they were oversized from the recipe. We each ate two, which was the serving size.  My darling is just eating the last one now.

26 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Can you provide the link to the recipe you used?  I found several but would like to follow the recipe you made.  

It looks like this on their web page, but I can't find a URL with which to actually send a link.

Screenshot_20180223-134923.jpg

Do keep in mind, though, that I took liberties with the recipe as noted in my earlier post: roughly the same quantities as in the recipe, but with slight differences in the ingredients.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2018 at 8:09 PM, Smithy said:

Add me as a vote for gochujang. It's very versatile, and very good. And as far as I know, it lasts approximately forever in the fridge.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com