• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuts and scrapes

Cronker

I have wiped my blade on my apron and slashed the fabric not far from my femoral artery. I think lack of concentration and some red fluid in a glass had something to do with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A thing I used to do far too regularly was set my knife down on the counter, then brush little bits of debris from my cutting board with my hand. Of course, very often that meant thwacking my "brushing hand" against the blade of my knife, conveniently adjacent. Duh. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, haresfur said:

Was watching a show on Noma last night. One of the cooks was slicing tiny garlic cloves with a mandoline bare-handed. Urp. :o

That makes me cringe. Big-time.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 2/3/2018 at 1:14 PM, Anna N said:

The only way I can come up with having a knife anywhere near your inner thigh is to guess either a falling knife 

slipped while cutting with it- applying way too much pressure while cutting, lost my balance, toppled with knife hand leading.   Yeah, when I mess up, I mess up big. 

Edited by Dante
poor sentence structure (log)

On 2/2/2018 at 3:24 PM, FeChef said:

I was trying to separate frozen hamburger patties i had sanwiched between wax paper, instead of using a butter knife, i decided to use a paring knife. Knife went straight inbetween the patties and right through my hand and almot severed a tendon in my pinky finger. I could not fully open or close that finger for 2-3 years till it finally healed.

not as bad as that but I have had the frozen hamburger patties + knife experience. 

On 2/4/2018 at 12:38 AM, Doofa said:

I have wiped my blade on my apron and slashed the fabric not far from my femoral artery. I think lack of concentration and some red fluid in a glass had something to do with it.

yeah, you want to avoid that knife + femoral artery thing. Take it from someone who knows. ;)

What if the scar isn't on your hands, arms, legs , or feet, but actually on your neck?  Though I did cut the tip of my finger off on my first day in cooking school.

But my main scar is on my neck, between C4-C5, where the doc went in through the front of my neck to remove the herniated disc (the procedure is called an ACDF) and fuse the space left, no doubt caused by years and years of looking down at a counter top or cutting board, or doing some other chore in the kitchen where I might've been more careful.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I was 16 years old in the late 1960s.  My HS guidance counselor said I needed some community service on my "permanent record" to help me secure a college scholarship.  She suggested I become a Candy Striper. 

I told her I was squeamish with blood, but she assured me all I would be asked to do was wrap swab bandages, serve food trays and some light clerical duties.  You'll never see a drop of blood, she assured me.

My first day on the job I was stuffing billing envelopes outside the ER.  As an ambulance with sirens blazing arrived, a nurse came out and shouted, EVERYONE INSIDE NOW.    

In I went with everyone else and I was directed with other clerical staff to bring surgical sheets and covers from everywhere within the ER to the area where the ambulance patient was going to be treated.  

The poor man worked across the street at the Krispy Kreme donut shop.  He had somehow gotten his arm (up to his shoulder) stuck in the industrial mixer.  

I saw his injuries as he was being moved to the bed.  I stayed in the ER as long as I was needed, then went outside and threw up.  

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

I was 16 years old in the late 1960s.  My HS guidance counselor said I needed some community service on my "permanent record" to help me secure a college scholarship.  She suggested I become a Candy Striper. 

I told her I was squeamish with blood, but she assured me all I would be asked to do was wrap swab bandages, serve food trays and some light clerical duties.  You'll never see a drop of blood, she assured me.

My first day on the job I was stuffing billing envelopes outside the ER.  As an ambulance with sirens blazing arrived, a nurse came out and shouted, EVERYONE INSIDE NOW.    

In I went with everyone else and I was directed with other clerical staff to bring surgical sheets and covers from everywhere within the ER to the area where the ambulance patient was going to be treated.  

The poor man worked across the street at the Krispy Kreme donut shop.  He had somehow gotten his arm (up to his shoulder) stuck in the industrial mixer.  

I saw his injuries as he was being moved to the bed.  I stayed in the ER as long as I was needed, then went outside and threw up.  

What about the donuts?

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I loved working the ER when I was a Candystriper and later when I was going through EMT training as a young adult. My only problems came when I got invited to sew up a gentleman (and I use the term loosely) whose wife/girlfriend had stabbed him in the back...except she hit the shoulder blade, which resulted in a deep, ugly cut to the bone, but no major damage. Guy was drunk enough he didn't care who did what to him. 

I was five months pregnant. Had never been bothered by blood. Started to suture...and damn near fainted. Had to hand him off. Doctor laughed at me for days.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com