• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panasonic Steam Oven

Eric Srikandan

54 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Hard to tell what is going on with this one's pricing and availability, yes? You can get what they call a discontinued model for $265US on the US Amazon site. I followed @Ann_T's lead and bought another one through Best Buy Canada when it was on sale for about $170 US. 

I think the variability of the CSO is because amazon itself is out of stock.  I expect things shall soon return to normal.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

the dimensions on the Ca site for panasonic read :

• Exterior Dimensions (W x D x H): 512 x 400 x 347 mm

that's 20.16 " x 15.75 " x 13.66 "

if this is the oven :Ov.thumb.jpg.feaa8a6be1f7434a82598ba055a9df72.jpg

some you tube vids :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtUrFiSBYJs

apparently there are other Panasonic steam ovens sold outside the US :

http://www.harveynorman.com.my/kitchen-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/compact-ovens/panasonic-15l-steam-oven.html

http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/home-appliances/kitchen-appliances/microwaves/panasonic-32l-convection-steam-microwave-oven.html

https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/panasonic-combination-steam-microwave-nnds592b/

wonder why not available in the USA ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What is expensive?  At the moment the CSO is going for $553.65 on amazon US*.  (Last week it $220.)

*with free shipping!!

It was about $400. $400 was a lot of money 20 years ago.

I would not use the Panasonic combi  for just microwave, and I would not use it  just as a steamer.

I think the Panasonic combi  is three appliances in one. I don't know what happens if one of them breaks down .

dcarch

• Like 2

The one I can find for sale at Goemans in my area is 1000W, microwave and steam only - no convection. $699 CDN - http://www.goemans.com/en/catalog/product/430898-Panasonic-NNDS58HB#see--main-product-description

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

The one I can find for sale at Goemans in my area is 1000W, microwave and steam only - no convection. $699 CDN - http://www.goemans.com/en/catalog/product/430898-Panasonic-NNDS58HB#see--main-product-description

I find this appliance very interesting. First, it is technically difficult to combine microwave, roasting oven and steamer into one small box, even more difficult to have convection feature.

For a counter top appliance, it is important to make the outside small and inside big. The microwave  electronics (high voltage inverter and magnetron) are very big. The plumbing system for a steamer takes a lot of room, and the heating element for 1000 watts cannot be miniaturized. To avoid burning from the hot case, there is a need to insulate the high heat from baking, and that requires thickness for good insulation. An effective convection needs a good motor and fan and space for return air. ---.

I can't see how this can cook faster, because you cannot microwave, bake and steam at the same time. Each process requires the full 1000 watt power, and your outlet is rated oat only 1800 watts. 

Is there a turntable plater? I wonder how even it can microwave.

Just curious.

dcarch

• Like 1

I've only run the clean program so far before I test drive it over the weekend. From what I understand, each function can run in sequence rather than in parallel.

It certainly appears to be all 4 functions; it is definitely a microwave (no turntable), oven, grill and steamer. Manual describes using the grill and microwave in stages, or including the steam function but not the oven.

IMG_20180201_011745.jpg

16 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Microwaves don't have to have turntables, there are flatbed models. 

That is correct. Microwave ovens can operate without a turn table. However, microwave wave length is fixed and directional. Depending on the dimensions of the cooking chamber, in a space with all 90 degree angles, just like a pool table, the outgoing and incoming waves, similar to the paths of a billiard ball  on a rectangular table, travels at a predictable and fixed path. That in a microwave is called standing wave, a standing wave pattern cooks food unevenly, unless the wave path, relative to the food is more or less randomized by a turntable.

dcarch

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Or by some other technology + inverters, which appears to be the case with the newer flatbed models, such as those in several of the UK models

I noticed that in all their advertisements, they don't say the "flatbed technology" cooks more evenly than a turntable. It seems to me that when you reflect a single frequency wave beam which exit the source at the exact moment, and arriving a fixed geometric surface, there may be amplitude reinforcements and cancellations within a space in three dimensions which will always be the same because nothing is moving inside the space.  How that can effect cooking ? I don't know.

Inverter technology has nothing to do with pattern of wave distribution. It only means variable cooking power.

Flatbed takes less vertical space, but more horizontal space.

dcarch

15 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Best Buy Canada had the CSO  on again recently  for $219. Canadian.  Back up to $249.CAD today or $203. USD. Newest model.

Seems Best Buy Canada doesn't ship to the US.  Otherwise I think my friend would have gone for it.  My other friend who recently bought her CSO from Canada complains that wonderful though it is the CSO is too small.  Another reason the Panasonic might be nice if it were not vaporware.

3 hours ago, dcarch said:

I find this appliance very interesting. First, it is technically difficult to combine microwave, roasting oven and steamer into one small box, even more difficult to have convection feature.

For a counter top appliance, it is important to make the outside small and inside big. The microwave  electronics (high voltage inverter and magnetron) are very big. The plumbing system for a steamer takes a lot of room, and the heating element for 1000 watts cannot be miniaturized. To avoid burning from the hot case, there is a need to insulate the high heat from baking, and that requires thickness for good insulation. An effective convection needs a good motor and fan and space for return air. ---.

I can't see how this can cook faster, because you cannot microwave, bake and steam at the same time. Each process requires the full 1000 watt power, and your outlet is rated oat only 1800 watts. 

Is there a turntable plater? I wonder how even it can microwave.

Just curious.

dcarch

Yet the specifications claim "Simultaneous Combination Cooking".

@Eric Srikandan, it would be great if you could just let us know how well the microwave function works for you. Have you used one of the flatbed microwaves before? How do you like this one? Aside from any of the other functionality. 

And then I bet a few of us would love to hear more about all the rest of your new oven! It looks like you are the only test driver we have available right now. :)

I'd love to hear how well the steam function works...and I wish they offered a less expensive model without the microwave.

What is the maximum temperature the Panasonic can cook with steam?  (For those who don't know the CSO can steam bake at 450 deg F, 232 deg C.)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rotuts said:

at least it doesn't have WiFi and an inner camera 

xD

Actually, as I remember, sometime ago there was one discussed here that has a camera which can recognize what kind of food is being cooked.

dcarch

6 hours ago, gfweb said:

This seems like engineers run amok. Cooks not consulted.

A pet peeve of mine. Unsupervised engineers.

Or (and I speak from experience) the engineering department doing what marketing has asked for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 2/1/2018 at 3:15 AM, gfweb said:

This seems like engineers run amok. Cooks not consulted.

A pet peeve of mine. Unsupervised engineers.

22 hours ago, rotuts said:

at least it doesn't have WiFi and an inner camera 

xD

20 hours ago, Porthos said:

Or (and I speak from experience) the engineering department doing what marketing has asked for.

If you build it, they will come...

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?