• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panasonic Steam Oven

Eric Srikandan

With the very well regarded CSO (Cuisinart Steam Oven) not being available in the UK, after a spot of research I've invested in the Panasonic combi steam oven to gain that functionality and replace my trusty old DeLonghi microwave. Hopefully it will prove to be a useful tool in the kitchen. Having a second oven will also be no doubt useful.

IMG_20180130_223701.jpg

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Eric Srikandan said:

With the very well regarded CSO (Cuisinart Steam Oven) not being available in the UK, after a spot of research I've invested in the Panasonic combi steam oven to gain that functionality and replace my trusty old DeLonghi microwave. Hopefully it will prove to be a useful tool in the kitchen. Having a second oven will also be no doubt useful.

Looks very nice! I found this one on the Canadian Panasonic site, is yours similar? Is it a countertop appliance? What is the water source, is it 'plumbed' or does it have a water reservoir? 

4 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Looks very nice! I found this one on the Canadian Panasonic site, is yours similar? Is it a countertop appliance? What is the water source, is it 'plumbed' or does it have a water reservoir? 

Mine is a NN-DS596B - so probably the UK version of the one you've found.

It's countertop, small reservoir and collector in the bottom.

IMG_20180131_000103.jpg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Have you tried it out yet? Will be interesting to hear how you like it! I like the idea of being able to combine MW with steam and convection! 

Not yet - probably not till the weekend now, but yes, it seems you can do all kinds of combination cooking which could be fun.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Have you tried it out yet? Will be interesting to hear how you like it! I like the idea of being able to combine MW with steam and convection! 

Are you thinking of getting one? Would be interesting to see if there are other owners of this machine here. I came across it while looking for a countertop steam oven on Amazon. Bought it when it was on offer from £350 down to £300.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Srikandan said:

Are you thinking of getting one? Would be interesting to see if there are other owners of this machine here. I came across it while looking for a countertop steam oven on Amazon. Bought it when it was on offer from £350 down to £300.

I would consider it, but not right away. Did you buy it through Amazon UK? 

The Canadian one seems a bit pricey but the Panasonic site also offers 10% off right away and free shipping. But I have a new Cuisinart steam oven for our Canadian house and would be more likely to consider it for our place here in Arizona. I wonder if it is available in the US? Probably is. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I would consider it, but not right away. Did you buy it through Amazon UK? 

The Canadian one seems a bit pricey but the Panasonic site also offers 10% off right away and free shipping. But I have a new Cuisinart steam oven for our Canadian house and would be more likely to consider it for our place here in Arizona. I wonder if it is available in the US? Probably is. 

Yes, through Amazon UK. I imagine being Panasonic it'll be a global product.

26 minutes ago, Eric Srikandan said:

Yes, through Amazon UK. I imagine being Panasonic it'll be a global product.

I thought so, too. But after a few searches, I'm still not finding it on US sites. If this is the American version, it doesn't seem to be currently available:

https://www.amazon.com/panasonic-steam-microwave-white-ne-s265-w/dp/b0092b4tyg

Edited by FauxPas
to clarify (log)

I'm having trouble deciding if it's a regular oven with steam and microwave or strictly microwave with steam. The discussion around preheating to 350 and baking for an hour makes it sound like it has another heat source than microwave.

Ah - the amazon.ca site talks about convection and grill. Perhaps I was too quick to repair my 20 year old microwave. 

Wonder how well it does under a shelf with the steam though.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'm having trouble deciding if it's a regular oven with steam and microwave or strictly microwave with steam. The discussion around preheating to 350 and baking for an hour makes it sound like it has another heat source than microwave.

As I remember, Panasonic has always sold a microwave oven that also has extra heating elements that can bake. I had one. It was expensive. They just add a steaming function to this one.

dcarch

12 hours ago, dcarch said:

As I remember, Panasonic has always sold a microwave oven that also has extra heating elements that can bake. I had one. It was expensive. They just add a steaming function to this one.

dcarch

What is expensive?  At the moment the CSO is going for $553.65 on amazon US*.  (Last week it was $220.)

*with free shipping!!

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Have you tested with a quarter sheet pan?

It should fit, right? Quarter sheet is 23 X 33 cm. But it would be nice to know for sure! 

Edited by FauxPas
missing word! (log)
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What is expensive?  At the moment the CSO is going for $553.65 on amazon US*.  (Last week it $220.)

Hard to tell what is going on with this one's pricing and availability, yes? You can get what they call a discontinued model for $265US on the US Amazon site. I followed @Ann_T's lead and bought another one through Best Buy Canada when it was on sale for about $170 US.