• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Rated US Supermarkets

Shel_B

Received this list today:  The top grocery stores ranked by Market Force Collection:

• Publix Super Markets: 77%
  • Wegmans: 77%
  • Trader Joe’s Market: 75%
  • H-E-B: 69%
  • ALDI: 68%
  • Harris Teeter: 66%
  • Hy-Vee Food Stores: 65%
  • Costco: 65%
  • WinCo Foods: 62%
  • Whole Foods Market: 61%
  • Fry’s: 58%
  • Kroger: 57%
  • Target: 56%
  • Winn-Dixie Stores: 54%
  • ShopRite: 53%
  • Food Lion: 52%
  • Albertsons: 49%
  • Meijer: 49%
  • Sam’s Club: 49%
  • Ginat Food Stores: 43%
  • Safeway: 39%
  • Stop & Shop: 38%
  • Wal-Mart: 31%

... Shel

Man, I live in the sticks!!!   Of all those stores, the ONLY one I've got here is Walmart.   In the UP, we have small chain of EconoFoods stores- which are great but not big enough to be ranked in a list like that.  There's a few IGA's.  And, for the super thrifty shopper....Dollar Tree's frozen section is AMAZING.  

I'd be grateful for an Aldi's or Trader Joe's. 

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

It would be a short list in Canada. We have two national supermarket chains, plus Walmart and Costco and a handful of local/regional players. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Too bad Wegmans isn't as good as it used to be!

I used to be one of Wegmans biggest fans!!!

The Corning, NY store opened in June of 1986—that was the first store in our area.

It was open 24 hours, we would often visit in the wee hours of the morning when there were few souls there!

I loved it!!!

After Robert, the patriarch, died in 2006 their business model changed quite a bit.

They focused much more on expansion, rather than taking proper care of the stores they already had!!!

Shelves were/are often bare.

They chose to compete directly with Walmart, Aldi and the like—slapping their once well regarded name on inferior products.

Now, the closest Wegmans, the Elmira, NY store, is just 2 miles away. The Corning store is about 17 miles away. And the Ithaca store—32 miles.

The Ithaca store is probably the best of the three, but it's usually VERY crowded—I HATE crowds! LOL

I still like Wegmans, I shop their more than any grocery store—but I miss the old Wegmans. :(

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I checked my notes, the Corning store opened in June of 1986!

My memory is going to hell!!! :S

This is from one of my Facebook posts some time ago.

The broccoli bin....

2icb238.jpg

And my comments! LOL

"Another rewarding trip to Wegman's!!!!!! GRRRrrrrrrr!!!!!

To their credit, they did have 2 of the 10 items that I needed!!!"

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Glad to see Hy Vee on the list.  They are an employee owned chain and do a damn good job.

I'm always impressed with products with their house brand.   Their motto is A smile in every aisle,

and they really seem to live it.  

7 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

Was introduced to Publix in Florida.  Stores are extraordinarily clean; staff very pleasant.  Meat and seafood counters are excellent, plus they will order items they don't normally stock, such as fresh rabbit.  Of course this all comes at a  high price.  They have some sales, usually BOGOs (Buy One Get One free), but everyday items are rarely marked down or are marked down just a few pennies. Example, my go-to comfort food (hate to admit this!) is Kraft Mac N Cheese....at Winn Dixie their everyday price is $1.09; at Publix it's a $1.79.  Publix's produce section is large with beautiful displays; produce prices very high.  Their deli section is always jammed, but we don't buy processed meats.  

We have an Aldi in St. Petersburg and it's the dirtiest food store I've ever been to.  Tried it a number of times, and while I find some interesting odds and ends (many items I might see at World Market....imported chocolates, specialty boxed cookies/crackers, etc.).  Maybe other Aldi's are cleaner??  

Our local Winn Dixie is a basic chain grocery....they offer weekly sales on many products and it's my go-to store for basics like TP, laundry detergent, bottled water, dairy.

The TJ's is a longer drive for me (15 minutes v. 7 minutes for the others).  It's my go-to store for wines and TJ branded products from their Xmas pfeffereneuse to their array of chocolates and dried fruits and nuts, potato chips and other snacks.

We have a weekly Farmer's Market in Gulfport that I can walk to; it is where I buy most of my produce and some specialty breads.  

When I'm in the US, I tend to shop at Publix, Winn Dixie and Trader Joes, probably spend one-third of my food dollars at each.  

Edited by gulfporter (log)

• Publix Super Markets: 77% -- Don't have it in my area (don't think they operate west of the Mississippi
  • Wegmans: 77% -- Ditto. Aren't they mostly Northeast?
  • Trader Joe’s Market: 75% -- Closest one is in Nashville, though we are alleged to be getting one in Memphis
  • H-E-B: 69% -- Not in the state
  • ALDI: 68% Had one in town for a couple of years. Shop here a lot. Good option for dairy and cured meats, cheeses, most produce.
  • Harris Teeter: 66% -- not in my region
  • Hy-Vee Food Stores: 65% -- not in my region
  • Costco: 65% -- none in Arkansas. There's one in Memphis, but I've never been
  • WinCo Foods: 62% -- Not in my region
  • Whole Foods Market: 61% -- Closest ones in Memphis and Little Rock, though we do have two good natural foods markets here.
  • Fry’s: 58% -- Never heard of it
  • Kroger: 57% -- Dominant grocery chain in my area
  • Target: 56%-- One here is not a Super Target with groceries.
  • Winn-Dixie Stores: 54% -- not in my region
  • ShopRite: 53% -- not in my region
  • Food Lion: 52% -- not in my region
  • Albertsons: 49% -- had some in Memphis for a while, but no more.
  • Meijer: 49% -- not in the region
  • Sam’s Club: 49% -- Don't like their groceries, with the exception of some frozen convenience stuff. Have found produce to be poor quality, meat a little better. Cheese is in too large quantities for me to effectively use.
  • Ginat Food Stores: 43% Never heard of them
  • Safeway: 39% You don't see a lot of them around here.
  • Stop & Shop: 38% not in this region
  • Wal-Mart: 31% other dominant grocery chain in region. Horrible. Meat quality is awful. Produce quality is awful. I'll buy stuff that's packaged and shipped in, but that's about it.

We have a couple of local/regional chains, Hays and Harps. Both are adequate, but significantly higher priced than Kroger and Aldi. Harps is the closest grocery to me, so it's often my default when I'm in the middle of something and need milk in a hurry, or a loaf of bread on the way home from church. 

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Ginat Food Stores <<This is a typo. It should read Giant Food Stores.

I truly believe GIANT is the best all around supermarket.

It never smells, all the stores are clean and consistent and the produce is always fresh.

I dont believe Sams Club or Costco belong on this list since you cannot do REAL food shopping

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Montana is so far off the beaten path that our grocery chains tend to be small and limited to WA/ID/MT except for the big, national chains.

We do have Wal-Mart, Safeway, Albertsons as well as some small chain stores: Super One, Roseauer's, IGA, Harvest Foods.  There's also a Good Food Store that might be likened to a Whole Foods on a very small scale.

I'd love to have a Trader Joe's but that's not going to happen.

Here in Mexico, Soriana is the 'average' grocery store.... like Safeway or Winn-Dixie.  There is an upscale grocery, called Mega.  I live in a backwater village and the nearest Mega is 1 hour away in Guadalajara.  It is near Costco (they have some sort of partnership as many times around MX I see both in the same Center).  

Mega has a huge wine selection (wine is relatively new to Mexico, as is a middle class that is eager to learn about it).  Mega's in store bakeries are simply amazing.  

Both Mega and Soriana have areas within them dedicated to vats of pre-made mole's.....often more than 10 types.  

3 hours ago, GlorifiedRice said:

We have a Mexican Supermarket near me, Super Gigante. I go there often. Last time I went the bakery tortured me.

I love the produce at Gigante. Roughly half acme's price. Interestingly our Gigante is run by Koreans who barely speak Spanish or English 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2018 at 9:09 AM, Shel_B said:

Received this list today:  The top grocery stores ranked by Market Force Collection:

I have commented in other threads as to having an incredible variety of supermarkets to choose from within a 5 mile radius of my house. Competition is fierce. There are 2 local chains that wouldn't be on the national ranking, Stater Bors (famous for their meats) and Superior Grocers. I go to Superior Grocers for produce and occasionally meat that is on sale.

Those stores marked with ** are within 5 miles of my home, most within 3 miles. There are other local chain supermarkets within the 5 mile radius that I won't shop at.

• Publix Super Markets: 77% - None around me
  • Wegmans: 77% - None around me
  • Trader Joe’s Market: 75% - TJs doesn't fit how I shop and is out of the way.
  • H-E-B: 69% - None around me
  • ALDI: 68% - I dislike their customer interface model and don't shop there **
  • Harris Teeter: 66% - None around me
  • Hy-Vee Food Stores: 65% - None around me
  • Costco: 65% - One of my main two stores to shop at,  2nd place **
  • WinCo Foods: 62% - My go-to market. **
  • Whole Foods Market: 61% - none close and I don't care, I'm not their target demographic.
  • Fry’s: 58% - None around me
  • Kroger: 57% (Ralphs in my area) Kroger destroyed this store. I buy soda there when they have good sales  **  ##
  • Target: 56% - very little **
  • Winn-Dixie Stores: 54% - None around me
  • ShopRite: 53% - None around me
  • Food Lion: 52% - None around me
  • Albertsons: 49% - Not convenient and I don't know how people afford to shop there.
  • Meijer: 49% - None around me
  • Sam’s Club: 49% - I let our Sams Club membership lapse, just didn't buy enough there to keep it
  • Ginat Food Stores: 43% - None around me
  • Safeway: 39% (Vons in our area) - I buy soda there when it's on a good sale. **
  • Stop & Shop: 38% - None around me
  • Wal-Mart: 31% - the odd item here and there. I do a lot of shopping at Wal-Mart in general and if I need some minor grocery item I pick it up. **

My DW and I were die-hard Ralphs shoppers for over 3 decades. The changes that Kroger made drove us away. Some of it just weird,  like turning off the interior perimeter lights at 10:00 p.m., cheese cases, milk, meat, produce, etc. I found that some of the Kroger house brand stuff wasn't up to the same quality as when it was still a real Ralphs. The biggest thing was the deceptive weekly ads. For example, Oscar Meyer bacon would normally be shelf-tagged at $4.99/lb. They would then put it on sale for $3.99, claiming half off, saying that $7.99/lb was their regular price.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 1/26/2018 at 8:50 AM, GlorifiedRice said:

Ginat Food Stores <<This is a typo. It should read Giant Food Stores.

I truly believe GIANT is the best all around supermarket.

It never smells, all the stores are clean and consistent and the produce is always fresh.

I dont believe Sams Club or Costco belong on this list since you cannot do REAL food shopping

Ah. I should have realized that. Used to see them around this part of the world; haven't in a long time.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com