• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modernist Bread, the CSO, and you

flippant

I've had the CSO for a number of years now, but have yet to actually bake bread in it.

Reading through the Modernist Bread thread on this forum I see many of you are using the CSO to great effect, which is heartening.

To that end, I would like to know about your experience baking bread in it – what sort of extra equipment you use (pans, cast iron? etc), what breads work the best, any corrections you find yourself making, or anything you feel might be useful to someone else using the CSO.

Thank you!

@flippant the CSO method is on page 5-297.  Instead of the CSO pan I use a Lodge L8SKL cast iron pan which fits beautifully in the CSO.  I use an EXO Super Peel to transfer the scored French lean dough to the preheated pan.  I've made perhaps a dozen boules this way and have been delighted with all but one, and even that was eatable.  (Baguettes I bake in my big oven.)

I've been hoping one of us will test the lid of a Lodge combination cooker in the CSO.  It looks like it might well fit and the sides are more gently rounded than the L8SKL.

Edit:  as to corrections, I preheat on convection bake rather than on steam bake, switching over shortly before loading.  I also bake a couple minutes longer than MB suggests.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, flippant said:

I've had the CSO for a number of years now, but have yet to actually bake bread in it.

Reading through the Modernist Bread thread on this forum I see many of you are using the CSO to great effect, which is heartening.

To that end, I would like to know about your experience baking bread in it – what sort of extra equipment you use (pans, cast iron? etc), what breads work the best, any corrections you find yourself making, or anything you feel might be useful to someone else using the CSO.

Thank you!

Well, I haven't dived into Modernist Bread, but I do bake bread in my CSO. If I'm doing loaves, I have two Circulon 8 1/2 x 4 pans that fit inside it perfectly. I move the shelf to the lower rack, and that gives me (99 percent of the time) enough room for oven spring. I use the bread setting. I have a doubled sheet of foil at ready, and I slip that between the tops of the loaves and the top elements when the top gets as brown as I want it -- otherwise, you will generally scorch the top of your loaves.

I do rolls either in the pan that came with the CSO, or in my 10 x 10 Wilton I ordered for it. The Wilton has two-inch sides, not that that generally matters. they work for bread sticks, too. Ditto for sweet rolls, etc. I could use a six-well muffin tin, but just never have.

If I'm of a notion to do a boule, I generally do it in my Lodge 10 1/2 inch round baker. 

About the only time I use the oven for bread any more is if I'm doing a BIG batch of rolls (1/2 sheet pan size) or one of my bigger loaf pans that won't fit. I really do like the bread setting; I find my loaves have a really nice crust and a good spring.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 years later...
10 hours ago, Daniel-J said:

I like it too Lodge, but I use a different model. It has a comfortable shape and it performs its functions well.

I doubt somehow that you have used these in the CSO.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou