• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

@flippant the CSO method is on page 5-297.  Instead of the CSO pan I use a Lodge L8SKL cast iron pan which fits beautifully in the CSO.  I use an EXO Super Peel to transfer the scored French lean dough to the preheated pan.  I've made perhaps a dozen boules this way and have been delighted with all but one, and even that was eatable.  (Baguettes I bake in my big oven.)

I've been hoping one of us will test the lid of a Lodge combination cooker in the CSO.  It looks like it might well fit and the sides are more gently rounded than the L8SKL.

Edit:  as to corrections, I preheat on convection bake rather than on steam bake, switching over shortly before loading.  I also bake a couple minutes longer than MB suggests.

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

@flippant the CSO method is on page 5-297.  Instead of the CSO pan I use a Lodge L8SKL cast iron pan which fits beautifully in the CSO.  I use an EXO Super Peel to transfer the scored French lean dough to the preheated pan.  I've made perhaps a dozen boules this way and have been delighted with all but one, and even that was eatable.  (Baguettes I bake in my big oven.)

I've been hoping one of us will test the lid of a Lodge combination cooker in the CSO.  It looks like it might well fit and the sides are more gently rounded than the L8SKL.