• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TdeV

TdeV

Edited to clarify questions.

I'm going to a Burns Supper (Robert Burns) next weekend and my contribution is Scotch Broth (my favourite soup). My local agricultural college being lambless, I bought packets of boney "Lamb Stew" from a Middle Eastern grocery store. I've been cleaning the meat for hours and it occurs to me that some parts will dissolve during long cooking. But I don't know which parts though.

Do I need to cut away (i.e. what happens to):

• skin? (does lamb stew meat ever come with skin attached?)
  • opaque white connective tissue (~1 mm)
  • nearly transparent, thin silvery layer (is this fascia?)
  • fat
  • cartilage
  • white things that look like veins but there's no blood in them
  • other connective tissue

I, personally, don't like messy, gristly stew.

I am taking most of the meat from the bones, then broiling the bones for about 30 minutes at 425F, then putting the bones into the stock pot water. I'll add the (somewhat cleaned) lamb meat later.

Also, how do these requirements for cleaning the meat change if I'm sous viding the meat at 133F?

P.S. Large fat deposits are removed because we feed them to the birds.

TdeV

TdeV

I'm going to a Burns Supper (Robert Burns) next weekend and my contribution is Scotch Broth (my favourite soup). My local agricultural college being lambless, I bought packets of boney "Lamb Stew" from a Middle Eastern grocery store. I've been cleaning the meat for hours and it occurs to me that some parts will dissolve during long cooking. But I don't know which parts though.

• white connective tissue (~1 mm)
  • thin silvery layer (is this fascia?)
  • fat
  • cartilage

I am taking most of the meat from the bones, then broiling the bones for about 30 minutes at 425F, then putting the bones into the stock pot water. I'll add the (somewhat cleaned) lamb meat later.

Also, how do these requirements for cleaning the meat change if I'm sous viding the meat at 133F?

P.S. Large fat deposits are removed because we feed them to the birds.

TdeV

TdeV

• fat
  • cartilage

TdeV

TdeV

• fat
  • cartilage

Also, how does these requirements for cleaning the stew meat change if I'm sous viding the meat at 133F?

TdeV

TdeV

• fat
  • cartilage

I am taking most of the meat from the bones, then broiling the bones for about 30 minutes at 425F.

TdeV

TdeV

I'm going to a Burns Supper (Robert Burns) next weekend and my contribution is Scotch Broth (my favourite soup). My local agricultural college being lambless, I bought packets of boney "Lamb Stew" from a Middle Eastern grocery store. I've been cleaning it for hours and it occurs to me that some parts will dissolve during long cooking. But I don't know which parts though.

Do I need to cut away (what happens to):

• thin silvery layer (fascia?)
  • fat
  • skin
  • cartilage

I, personally, don't like messy stew.