• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do you cook with a "360" vision?

Cronker

I experiment quite a lot, but more in terms of technique than ingredients - I'm fairly conservative in that regard.

But I enjoy using meat cooking techniques for vegetables, potatoes in risotto, etc.  

I've recently been enjoying cooking with different animal fats :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quote:

A recipe is not meant to be followed exactly - it is a canvas on which you can embroider.
Roger Verge

This has always, for the most part, been my philosophy. Because of some dietary restrictions in my house, I have to alter just about every recipe that I try or that I have used in the past. Rather than claiming authenticity, I just call it my version of… As for sides, I opt for the fresh ingredients available. For condiments, I stick with the traditional. Tonkatsu sauce with tonkatsu, guacamole, sour cream, and salsa for Mexican, Etc.

Having lived in a foreign country for almost 30 years, without having the availability of a lot of things that I would like to cook with, rules have to go out the window. Rules are for people a bit more obsessive than I am. I'm more interested in flavor, presentation, and using the good food available to me.

I will admit that some dishes are not meant to be tampered with. Fettuccine Alfredo never has chicken or ham. Caesar salad must have anchovies. Carpaccio is always made with raw beef, never salmon. Some things are just too good to spoil with Innovation or fusion.