• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chop chicken leg bones?

TdeV

Wondering about the value of cutting through chicken bones when making a stew. When I'm making chicken or duck stock, I cut through the bones so that the marrow can become part of stock fluid. When I'm making stock, I filter it eventually, so any fine bone particles get removed. I know in Asian cooking that the chicken thigh gets chopped into 3, but I'm assuming that's to make the pieces smaller.

What's your opinion? Is there value in chicken bone marrow getting into the stew? If one picks out the bits of broken bone ends, is that good enough?

I often do that when making soup or stew. I *believe* it adds flavor - don't see how it wouldn't - but was never curious enough to attempt any sort of empirical comparison. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I sometimes like to make stuffed boneless chicken legs, using leg quarters. When I do, I usually make a nice gelatinous stock with the leg and back bones. I have often wondered if I roasted the bones in the oven first, how the stock would be. Now I have a new curve to think about too.

HC

Chicken bones are so small that you can get full extraction without needing to hack them up. Most of the contribution that bones make to broth comes from their collagen, not from the marrow. Bones add "body" or gelatin to the final stock. Marrow is largely fat and doesn't contribute much in the way of flavor. If you've ever made a stock with only bones (and no meat or skin) then you'll know where the flavor is. And it ain't in the bones.

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

I have often wondered if I roasted the bones in the oven first, how the stock would be.

Good lord, man... roast those bones! Bone roasting is the difference between lighter, "blonde" chicken stock and the darker, richer roasted chicken stock. They're not really the same product, but I almost never make blonde chicken stock because I prefer the taste from roasted bones. I also find that pre-roasting the bones mostly eliminates the need to blanch and rinse the bones first. 

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 2

Depends on what flavor you prefer.

I don't favor cooking chicken or turkey stock for a long time because lengthy cooking sort of imparts an unpleasant sanguine flavor, IMO.

Fine with red meat meat/bones, but not white meat, especially from young birds—which most are.

Which is why I, generally, prefer Edna Lewis' method of chicken stock making, which is very quick and simple.

Edna said, and I agree: "I do not believe in cooking stock for a long period of time; it loses it's good flavor."

Even better when combined with Scott Peacock's chicken stock method.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Cook's Illustrated March 1996 had a chicken stock that was made with chopped chicken pieces and a technique that sauteed the pieces until they gave up their juice before adding any extra water that made a lovely rich soup.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@btbyrd, is that true even when the bones are surrounded by chicken leg meat?

Depends on the size of the chicken and how you're cooking it. But yes, you can get near-full extraction from legs without hacking them up. If they're super thick or you're concerned for some reason, you can always run a knife down the leg and thigh bones to expose them. But after 45 minutes in the pressure cooker (or a few hours on the stovetop) chicken legs will be falling apart anyway. If you're using low temperatures or short cooking times, smaller pieces will help things infuse quickly. But within "ordinary" chicken stock-making parameters, you'll be cooking for a long enough time that it doesn't much matter.

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TdeV said:

@HungryChris, can I ask for the recipe?

@TdeV, I have stuffed them with a number of things. My 2 favorites are garlic cooked spinach, pine nuts and blue cheese, and ham and Swiss. I am unable to post the link because of server overloading, but if you do a search for Pine nuts blue cheese and pick my post of January, 2016 you will find that one, and another search for chicken legs ham Swiss and pick my post dated Dec 6, 2017 you can see what I did there. Good luck!

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Cook's Illustrated March 1996 had a chicken stock that was made with chopped chicken pieces and a technique that sauteed the pieces until they gave up their juice before adding any extra water that made a lovely rich soup.

Yeah, that's inspired by Edna Lewis' recipe! :)

"For a full-flavored chicken soup recipe that could be made in less than 90 minutes, we borrowed an idea from an Edna Lewis recipe, beginning by sautéing a chicken, minus the breast (which we used later as meat for the soup), hacked into small pieces, rather than by simmering chicken bones, aromatic vegetables, and ..."

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!