• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Russet Potato Flavor

rotuts

I tend to buy generic , unless its something special.

for potatoes , I get Russets , 5 lb bags , store label   for RedBliss , the same thing

I live in the East.   Ive noticed that the store label 5 lbs bag are the cheapest and have smaller potatoes than

pick your own , etc. for Russets , and larger potatoes for Bliss.   smaller Bliss are at a sl premium.

I don't mind.  I feel its the skin that adds the flavor and the smaller potato , the more surface area thus more skin / lb potato 

I don't find other potatoes that interesting.  Bliss for Waxy , Russets for fluffy  

I don't find YukonGold to be buttery at all , seems more PR than anything else.

the Russets i get with these criteria are not ultra-potato-ey    

they might come from PEI  and its said the soil there has been over farmed.  perhaps.

the other day there was a Sale at one of my stand-by Chains :

10 lbs / Russets   1.99

suprise.gif.944826a6bf619784fbcaa6c3d0d3793c.gif

Green Giant.   did not know the JGJ  was into potatoes.

but they were very clean , very little divots    how could I loose ?

I baked up a set of the smallest , similar sized ones in the CSB(O)   450 SB  45 ++ until very crunchy

I never peel potatoes.  I clean them up as little as possible.

after about 10 minutes  the most wonderful earthy aroma filled the kitchen

then Russet Aroma was added to this for the rest of the baking time.

best tasting potato Ive had in recent memory.   The bag says they are distributor is in Pasco WA

interesting     im not sure Idaho potatoes are the best around , or its a blend of PR and other factors

I do remember some time ago  Mt.St.Helena  erupted and a lot of ash was deposited in Idaho

it was said that after that , the Idaho Russets improved dramatically in flavor.

to make a long story come to an ending ,   Ill try to pay more attention to where the Russets come from

as these were outstanding , and a pleasure to Bake in the CSB

has anyone noticed something similar ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

One thing ive noticed for a long time :

the large russets that are sold by the pound in many higher end markets are very smooth.

just thinking about this now , these are the Beauty Queens, which seem attractive in the bin

they must have been processed for that visual effect.  a taster russet may still be blemish and ' old cut ' free 

if you know what I mean

but the surface is rougher.   clean , i.e. no dirt , no big divots , but rough to the touch.

the rough to the touch has a always indicated to me  that potato is going to have much more flavorful crispy skin when baked.

the potatoes from the JGG  were like that.     the 5 lb Brandless bags sometimes yes sometimes not.

im not 100 % sure on these differences  , but after the bag of JGG  I think it might be true.

has anyone else noticed this ?

I welcome different opinions, for sure , from your direct experience.

BTW   ;  w all my potatoes I wash them in cold water using just my had or very gently w a small brush

to remove dirt is there is any.    i don't make it a work-out to brush them so much bits of skin are removed.

w the JGG spuds   most of that roughness on the skin was still there while they drip-dried.

they did not look at all like the very smooth large russets sold at a premium.

Im wondering if that's where the early aromas came from ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

For russets I typically buy individual big potatoes from the bin.  Last fall I tried a bag of russets from amazon.  As I recall I was well pleased.  These were as you say, clean but rough.  But amazon discontinued Fresh delivery to my area.  Oh well.

Though seriously I would be concerned about potatoes lightly brushed and rinsed unless they were organic.  Maybe that's just me.  I either peel mine or scrub them within an inch of their life.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@JoNorvelleWalker

interesting points

Im at the point of my life where KillerStuff on my food is not a concern

it of course has to be in Trace Amounts !

money-mouth.gif.9f8ac7d669615a457214e0d1bbbbafec.gif

that being said

no apples from WA

and no fruit from Chile

and I don't mean to be flippant 

Im completely confident that

a few Jugs of MR

and a double or two a day of 

HomeRoasted espresso  fixes many things.

or one just doesn't notice 

suprise.gif.2806171376327807a16ee75ea1513322.gif

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Costco's near me sell bags of huge russets - perhaps I should say huge bags of huge russets. I have found them to be excellent in terms of flavor and texture.

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Kerry Beal

nice

what did they look

and where did they come from ?

once you are back

and go there again for these

perhaps a few pics ?

data you see

for analysis later.

I shall do my best to remember when I get back - if I fail please remind me. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2018 at 10:55 AM, TdeV said:

I'll be interested to hear other opinions (as well) on how to select the most flavourful potatoes.

Depends on what I'm doing with them. I generally buy Yukon Golds, as they present a decent balance of mealy/creamy, and thus can be used for most purposes. I like the big ones if I'm going to peel and cube them, because it's easier to peel a big potato. (I always peel and cube my potatoes for salads, for example; I dislike potatos cooked in the skin and then peeled and cubed for salads). I eat a lot of wedged and roasted potatoes, and for those, smaller sizes are OK, as I generally don't peel them (another point for YG's; you can't eat a russet's skin, or at least I can't). And I purely love YG "potato skins," tennis-ball-sized potatoes, baked, halved, scooped out, insides brushed with bacon grease, salted, broiled, filled with cheese, bacon, scallions, then broiled again, served with sour cream. I make dinner off that at least once a week.

On 1/18/2018 at 2:31 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Costco's near me sell bags of huge russets - perhaps I should say huge bags of huge russets. I have found them to be excellent in terms of flavor and texture.

Last time I bought a bag of those, I had problems with bad spots in the centers. Ever experience that? 

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 hours ago, kayb said:

Last time I bought a bag of those, I had problems with bad spots in the centers. Ever experience that? 

Not from the Costco ones