• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc and Chocolot take their hearts to San Francisco

Kerry Beal

The above is Kerry making bathtub ganache with Ill gotten goods. Jam from breakfast, cream from waiter, Chocolate we brought. Heated cream with hair dryer. If we can figure out how to post video, you can see her in action. 

Edited by Chocolot (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 5

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

2 minutes ago, Chocolot said:

The above is Kerry making bathtub ganache will Ill gotten goods. Jam from breakfast, cream from waiter, Chocolate we brought. Heated cream with hair dryer.

:D :D :D

I'm hoping to see her thumping powdered donuts to get some icing sugar to roll truffles in. :P

• Haha 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

6 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

For everyone who says "I'll start doing (whatever they're putting off doing) as soon as I get a (whatever piece of gear/equipment they're using as a reason to not do whatever they're putting off doing)", the excuses have hereby been invalidated. Now I just need to get better at applying this lesson to myself...

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

10 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

For everyone who says "I'll start doing (whatever they're putting off doing) as soon as I get a (whatever piece of gear/equipment they're using as a reason to not do whatever they're putting off doing)", the excuses have hereby been invalidated. Now I just need to get better at applying this lesson to myself...

When Kerry hears the phrase, “it can’t be done” she sets forth to prove “it can be done”!  

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

33 minutes ago, Chocolot said:

The above is Kerry making bathtub ganache with Ill gotten goods. Jam from breakfast, cream from waiter, Chocolate we brought. Heated cream with hair dryer. If we can figure out how to post video, you can see her in action. 

Love it!

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

When Kerry hears the phrase, “it can’t be done” she sets forth to prove “it can be done”!  

I bet she can't make peanut butter pickle candies and mail them to me.

:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

7 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I bet she can't make peanut butter pickle candies and mail them to me.

:ph34r:

Keep an eye on your mailbox.  I would never put anything past her. 

• Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

This is apparently a $75 lunch - subsidized  $45 by the event - eaten in a few short minutes before my tempering demo lunch and learn.

IMG_8102.thumb.JPG.e511fa66958bb20a073ff1b98a1dd19f.JPG

IMG_8103.thumb.JPG.db0bae25d5019bfb165bd1eaab915775.JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

Well it would be hard to complain about the selection that is for certain. 

Notice she tried to fool us by posting some pictures twice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Spent the day at the Fancy Food Show - can't say I saw anything that blew me away.

IMG_8127.thumb.JPG.e367e77a22d7acc4e4650cc14a86c171.JPG

Spanish pavilion - nice piece of tuna.

IMG_8129.thumb.JPG.cd08ddcefb2c223f48d42cdf8cf95f2e.JPG

Put in your dollar - it bakes your loaf of bread.

IMG_8130.thumb.JPG.2ab0a58ba53fc76a75029cef57743e65.JPG

Guittards two new milk chocolates - found them quite sweet.

• Like 7

Dinner at Souvla.

IMG_8132.thumb.JPG.c7fff887cd3363979e70feffdbb4b4ff.JPG

Lamb sandwich for me.

IMG_8135.thumb.JPG.db7c16e87d50c8a9555f43749368a8e5.JPG

Chicken sandwiches for @Chocolot and Romina.

IMG_8133.thumb.JPG.e42cccf3c867045e0a0d2ca7436927d1.JPG

Juicy potatoes - cooked in rotisserie drippings 

IMG_8134.thumb.JPG.41ff9f213a97b52125008b9550d985ba.JPG

Shared salad 

Then down the street to Salt and Straw Icecream

IMG_8139.thumb.JPG.51ad3a392588a3193e7d66b462fac010.JPG

Sea salt with caramel ribbons for Ro

IMG_8140.thumb.JPG.ecd24a5769c2a0f5a7f36dde3259cc7b.JPG

Roasted strawberry tres Leche for @Chocolot and myself.

• Like 13

On 1/20/2018 at 4:21 PM, Kerry Beal said:

This is apparently a $75 lunch - subsidized  $45 by the event - eaten in a few short minutes before my tempering demo lunch and learn.

Sounds like San Francisco hotel prices to me. Such an incredibly high cost of living city.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Kerry once again making bath tub meltaway.. She picked up a new New Zealand product. It is coconut oil and avocado oil.  This one was flavored with lemon and turmeric.  Of course, Kerry immediately thought  Meltaway. Back to the room we go. With chocolate left over and milk chocolate donated from FFS, she proceeded.  After mixing, she was forced to use ice water bath in the sink to chill, as she had sold her EZtemper and it was gone. Batch was a tiny bit lumpy, but not bad. Set up overnight at room temp.  She is cutting now to take back to show and give the guy the finished product. 

DA1013E5-2161-4830-8C33-8806B0073BFD.thumb.jpeg.3ce1b6d51176574bdbabfc06b953ba87.jpeg

• Like 6

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

23 minutes ago, Chocolot said:

Kerry once again making bath tub meltaway.. She picked up a new New Zealand product. It is coconut oil and avocado oil.  This one was flavored with lemon and turmeric.  Of course, Kerry immediately thought  Meltaway. Back to the room we go. With chocolate left over and milk chocolate donated from FFS, she proceeded.  After mixing, she was forced to use ice water bath in the sink to chill, as she had sold her EZtemper and it was gone. Batch was a tiny bit lumpy, but not bad. Set up overnight at room temp.  She is cutting now to take back to show and give the guy the finished product. 

DA1013E5-2161-4830-8C33-8806B0073BFD.thumb.jpeg.3ce1b6d51176574bdbabfc06b953ba87.jpeg

Let's see if I can add the video First part  second part

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Love it!  If hotels only knew some of the stuff that went on in those rooms!

And I bet most of them wish it was never anything worse than this. xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog