• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reviews of Kirkland Brand Wines and Spirits

Smokeydoke

I'm amazed at the prices of Kirkland brand alcohol. I was wondering if the quality was just as good or better than a popular competitor? Lets put our collective experiences together and reviews Kirkland brand wines and spirits.

Type of alcohol, size, price and location will all be helpful. If you can compare with a leading competitor, that'd be great too.

I picked this up today.

IMG_2610.JPG.43f3f5078b818017ed1738eebf406f2b.JPG

Kirkland brand prosecco, 750 ml, for $6.99, at the Summerlin Costco. :B

Someone gave it a good review, so I decided to give it a shot, how could I not for $7?!

I'll try it tonight and report back.

Look forward to your reviews. Are you the only taster or do you intend to enlist a few other palates in the tasting?

it would be really good if these were blind tastings so there was no perceptual biases 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 1

I really liked  @scubadoo97 idea for blind tastings, so today, I went out and bought this

IMG_2620.JPG.21e9872a3bdeaa6031f2d1b7844a4a6c.JPG

It's a prosecco by Foss Marai and it had a 90 score at Total Wine & More.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-324420-0000-foss-marai-prosecco-extra-dry-veneto-italy

I don't know much about proseccos but I'm going to conclude that this is a decent bottle, reasonably priced at $20 (tad high-end for a prosecco).

I decided to do a side-by-side comparison with the Kirkland brand.

IMG_2621.JPG.bfe446a509d436e7aa8f09de990abb04.JPG

Smell:

Foss Marai - win, it's complex fruity, grapes with hints of honey. It smells "natural," I guess another word could be funky.

Kirkland - it's ok, it's completely different beast. It's much more astringent, clean smelling. It almost smells like a soda pop.

Bubbles:

Kirkland - small win, this is one bubbly drink, five minutes later and the bubbles are raging.

Foss Marai - no more bubbles.

Taste:

Now here's the real eye-opener, they taste completely different. If you didn't tell me they're both proseccos, I wouldn't have put them in the same category.

Foss Marai - win. big win. Very dry. Lots of complex flavors that I've already mentioned: honey, grapes, musk. You can taste the earth in here. It's interesting, it entertains my tastebuds and I want more.

Kirkland - taste is ok, it's not bad, it's not great. It's very clean, like it was manufactured in a factory. Single lemony note.

Both go down very easy.

Winner: Foss Marai. But I come away with Kirkland being very drinkable at $7 (less than half the price of the Foss Marai) and Kirkland may work better in mixers with it's simple, clean, bright notes.

Actually, you really can't compare, they taste so different. I should've compared it with a more commercialized, standard prosecco that had simpler flavors.

I'll try them in some prosecco cocktails and report back.

Both make popcorn delicious!

Edited by Smokeydoke
grammar (log)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Smokeydoke said:

I really liked  @scubadoo97 idea for blind tastings, so today, I went out and bought this

IMG_2620.JPG.21e9872a3bdeaa6031f2d1b7844a4a6c.JPG

It's a prosecco by Foss Marai and it had a 90 score at Total Wine & More.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-324420-0000-foss-marai-prosecco-extra-dry-veneto-italy

I don't know much about proseccos but I'm going to conclude that this is a decent bottle, reasonably priced at $20 (tad high-end for a prosecco).

I decided to do a side-by-side comparison with the Kirkland brand.

IMG_2621.JPG.bfe446a509d436e7aa8f09de990abb04.JPG

Smell:

Foss Marai - win, it's complex fruity, grapes with hints of honey. It smells "natural," I guess another word could be funky.

Kirkland - it's ok, it's completely different beast. It's much more astringent, clean smelling. It almost smells like a soda pop.

Bubbles:

Kirkland - small win, this is one bubbly drink, five minutes later and the bubbles are raging.

Foss Marai - no more bubbles.

Taste:

Now here's the real eye-opener, they taste completely different. If you didn't tell me they're both proseccos, I wouldn't have put them in the same category.

Foss Marai - win. big win. Very dry. Lots of complex flavors that I've already mentioned: honey, grapes, musk. You can taste the earth in here. It's interesting, it entertains my tastebuds and I want more.

Kirkland - taste is ok, it's not bad, it's not great. It's very clean, like it was manufactured in a factory. Single lemony note.

Both go down very easy.

Winner: Foss Marai. But I come away with Kirkland being very drinkable at $7 (less than half the price of the Foss Marai) and Kirkland may work better in mixers with it's simple, clean, bright notes.

Actually, you really can't compare, they taste so different. I should've compared it with a more commercialized, standard prosecco that had simpler flavors.

I'll try them in some prosecco cocktails and report back.

Both make popcorn delicious!

Yes, but the Kirkland bottle's bigger.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou