• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bensdorp Cocoa

Shel_B

The cocoa that I've been using for brownies, pudding, and hot chocolate is, to my dismay, no longer available.  This has put me on a quest to find a replacement, and one that looks to be ideal for these needs is Bensdorp, sold by King Arthur, which has a 22% - 24% fat content.

Considering the high(er) fat content, would this cocoa powder need to be refrigerated for storage of five or six months?  Or would refrigerated storage be a bad idea?  If not a good idea, why not?

Thanks!

... Shel

... Shel

Hmm, I would think no, since plain dark chocolate has a shelf life of 2 years and cocoa butter isn't known to go rancid easily.  Though the small particle size of the powder introduces air exposure that doesn't happen in a solid block so there could be oxidation.  I use Valrhona cocoa and keep it at room temp.  I'm not sure how high fat it is, but it tastes great.

I've kept high-fat cocoa at room temp in my pantry for several months without any issues of rancidity or what have you. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

In my opinion the King Arthur Double Dutch Dark cocoa is better than the Bensdorp.  I have used both.  I buy them from Amazon - and I also buy the Black Onyx Ultra-dutched cocoa powder which I have been blending with the recently purchased Gerkens Garnet Cocoa powder which is also 22/24 high fat.  It too is alkalized and has a wonderful rich flavor.  $12.99 a pound.

For hot cocoa and for other liquid application, my favorite for many years is the Valrhona which is now available in one pound bags from Amazon.  More costly than some at $20.08 but considering I used to have to buy this in 5 kilo bags when I was catering, I am happy it is now available like this.  The fat content is 21% and it blends nicely with milk or cream for drinking or for liquid sauces.  Hight fat is great in baked goods but can be a bit too much in other applications.  

None of these have required refrigeration, although my pantry is always rather cool, 58°F - even during the summer.

What cocoa were you using?

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett