• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gochujang

lindag

I recently watched an episode of ATK where they made a Korean Rice Bowl dish using this ingredient.

icanotdinditherei my grocery stores (not a surprise) so I'll have to order it (what would I do without Amazon?)

The hosts highly recommended the product for use in many other recipes.

I'd never heard of it before but the recipe really looks good and I intend to try it.

Has anyone here used Gochujang?

I was first introduced to it on Korean Cooking Made Simple with host Judy Joo and have been using it for a couple of years. It can be hard to buy because it can have different labels,  so I have been getting it on Amazon for some time now.  I use it in making Korean BBQ, but have seen it mixed with butter and used on steaks(Simply Ming) and have been adding a bit to pepper steaks. It brings a rich heat to the party.

HC

• Like 1

You coud think of it as as deeper flavored love-child of Sriracha and strong miso. One of those ingredients that brings a spicy umami to a huge variety of foods. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 3

This is RareRollingObject's image from her eG foodblog (Sydney). I coincidentally had the same one in my fridge in Los Angeles. We both were happy with this off the shelf brand from the Asian market. Under $8 for me as I recall. It is not subtle stuff.

gogu.jpg

• Like 1

For Canadians who live in areas without Asian stores, Superstore now carries a house brand of gochujang. I don't know if it's good, it wasn't available on the day I was supposed to use it for an in-store cooking class. :P

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

For anyone who has purchased Gochujang from Wegmans you have ME personally to thank.

My area has a great deal of Koreans and Korean Baptist churches and I told them its something

that they should carry. They did. I have gotten 20 companies Wegmans contracts. Yay me.

• Like 4

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

This is the brand I usually find in the international aisle of my local grocery store, but it's only $4 a tub rather than the $10 Amazon wants.  The most common way I use it is to mix with mayo, ponzu sauce, toasted sesame oil and shichimi as a dip for fries.  I also add it to crushed tomatoes along with garlic and oregano for pizza sauce and I've made the sauce from the ATK episode to drizzle over scrambled eggs.  Very versatile ingredient to have on hand, and it seems to last forever in the fridge.

• Like 2