• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

gulfporter

One Click Butter Cutter

8 hours ago, gulfporter said:

For those unfamiliar with disease, here's a link with pics...the condition of right hand looks almost exactly like the 2nd photo on page:

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/329414-overview 

All too familiar here but mine has not progressed as far.  I can't place my hands together but thankfully I can still cut butter with a knife.  Worse was frozen shoulder, believed by some to be the same disease, which made it difficult to cook or eat...details, I know.  Sorry if too much information.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

European butter like Kerrygold has more fat and is more spreadable right out of the fridge; that could be a solution for some people. Leaving it out for fifteen minutes makes it even easier. And it tastes so good. For many baking needs I just use regular American butter, but for spreading on fresh bread or toast it's only a modest splurge.

43 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

European butter like Kerrygold has more fat and is more spreadable right out of the fridge; that could be a solution for some people. Leaving it out for fifteen minutes makes it even easier. And it tastes so good. For many baking needs I just use regular American butter, but for spreading on fresh bread or toast it's only a modest splurge.

Buying European butter in Mexico is more than a modest splurge!  I like the local butter, though some expats complain because most stores only stock mantequilla sin sal (unsalted butter), but I've only eaten unsalted butter since my 20s when I got into baking and opted to only buy unsalted for the house.