• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One Click Butter Cutter

gulfporter

Spur of moment purchase.  Just looking to eliminate any steps  I can between me and my toasted English muffin in the mornings, which I prepare while my coffee is brewing and I am too groggy to be fumbling with my talavera butter dish and cover (it's rather heavy and large). 

When I began using it, the cut butter pat did not fall down...it stuck to the gadget.  I re-read the directions, cleaned it up and practiced a bit.  Had to get a feel for the mechanism....part of click is to push the stick into position and the final trigger cuts and releases the pat.  After about 5 tries I got it right and it's been fine since.  

It's certainly not attractive, but it hides in the fridge.  Will still use my fancier butter dish for company, but this thing does the tick. 

One Click Butter Cutter   

23 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

Which size butter sticks does it hold? The comments/questions make this unclear as one comment states they wish amazon would carry the one for west-coast butter, but one review states that the compartment is too short.

I live in Mexico.  Our sticks are slightly skinnier than the US east coast sticks I am used to, but I believe the same or similar length.  Our sticks here are each 90 grams or 3.17 ounces as opposed to US sticks at 4 ounces.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

One Click butter cutter.  I can't help but think Jeff Bezos has it patented.

I was picturing Ron Popeil. Or maybe K-Tel. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

In General  Physics 101, to illustrate the theory of inverse square law, they use the butter gun to show how butter gets sprayed thinner on toasts as distance increases.

It would be so wonderful if they actually have a butter gun that can spray butter.

dcarch

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, dcarch said:

In General  Physics 101, to illustrate the theory of inverse square law, they use the butter gun to show how butter gets sprayed thinner on toasts as distance increases.

It would be so wonderful if they actually have a butter gun that can spray butter.

dcarch

That butter gun leaves knife tracks on the bread...

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I have a zero click butter cutter.

It's called a knife. Works every time.

I've been known to just rub the stick of butter directly on my toast.  Yes, you get crumbs stuck to the butter, but you don't have to wash a knife :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

On 1/15/2018 at 10:12 AM, GlorifiedRice said:

Okay I cant deal with this...Is this a spoof post?

Are we being silly here?

Gulfporter, look just leave the butter in a butter dish on the table and use a knife in the morning.

lol

We live in Central Mexico....too many critters to leave food out overnight.  I do that in the US but only in the winter.   

Have to share!  A few days ago a friend posted on facebook that she was getting supplies together for a craft with her kids.  Only the gluesticks were nowhere to be found.  After a few minutes of searching she questioned her daughter.  "In the freezer." she admitted.  "Why are they in the freezer?"  "To harden the butter."  She had emptied all the gluesticks, melted butter, then poured the melted butter into the gluestick containers with plans to use them for applying to her toast in the morning.  May be another option to the butter cutter!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

50 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

We live in Central Mexico....too many critters to leave food out overnight.  I do that in the US but only in the winter.   

Even in the kitchen?

I leave a stick out at all times. nothing ever gets into it, ever. Even the ants, moths or Box Elders.

• Haha 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

11 hours ago, donk79 said:

Have to share!  A few days ago a friend posted on facebook that she was getting supplies together for a craft with her kids.  Only the gluesticks were nowhere to be found.  After a few minutes of searching she questioned her daughter.  "In the freezer." she admitted.  "Why are they in the freezer?"  "To harden the butter."  She had emptied all the gluesticks, melted butter, then poured the melted butter into the gluestick containers with plans to use them for applying to her toast in the morning.  May be another option to the butter cutter!

LOL A lateral thinker...that girl's got a bright future ahead of her. :)

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I keep butter in my porcelain butter keeper on the counter year round.  Never tastes off and nothing ever gets into it.  Sure beats trying to spread ice cold butter onto toast.

• Like 1

When my mom died a few years ago, we cleaned out her kitchen. We found four -- count 'em, four -- egg slicers (like this one). I sent them all to the thrift store, as I (hmpf) slice eggs with a knife. But here's the thing: mom had terrible arthritis, was never good with a knife . . . and loved egg salad. She would have it three or four times a week, on saltines, on bread, on toast, just on a plate. So, at any given time, there would be two egg slicers in the dishwasher (she wasn't great about running it daily), one ready to be used, and one spare (if you really, truly love egg salad, you don't want to be without a backup). Since finding those slicers, and realizing why they were needed, and why were so many, I quit making fun of them (and the people who use them). If there's a task that needs to be done often, and a device that does it well, then as far as I'm concerned, you have the right to use that device without excuses.

One person's ridiculous gadget is another person's indispensable tool.

• Like 15

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

45 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

One person's ridiculous gadget is another person's indispensable tool.

Words to live by. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, lindag said:

I keep butter in my porcelain butter keeper on the counter year round.  Never tastes off and nothing ever gets into it.  Sure beats trying to spread ice cold butter onto toast.

Leaving butter out in tropical (FL) or semi-tropical (MX) climates is just begging for bugs.  

Like the relatively thin pats this knocks out....zap it onto my toasted English muffin and by the time I pour my coffee the pats are soft, ez to spread. 

Not looking for sympathy but both my hands are affected with Duputryn's Contracture.  My right hand's pinky and ring fingers are totally curled under and useless   The middle finger is not as bad but disease is progressive.  My left hand is a little better..just the pinky is useless, though my ring and middle fingers are bent pretty badly.  

For those unfamiliar with disease, here's a link with pics...the condition of right hand looks almost exactly like the 2nd photo on page:

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/329414-overview 

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

Leaving butter out in tropical (FL) or semi-tropical (MX) climates is just begging for bugs.  

Like the relatively thin pats this knocks out....zap it onto my toasted English muffin and by the time I pour my coffee the pats are soft, ez to spread. 

Not looking for sympathy but both my hands are affected with Duputryn's Contracture.  My right hand's pinky and ring fingers are totally curled under and useless   The middle finger is not as bad but disease is progressive.  My left hand is a little better..just the pinky is useless, though my ring and middle fingers are bent pretty badly.  

For those unfamiliar with disease, here's a link with pics...the condition of right hand looks almost exactly like the 2nd photo on page:

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/329414-overview 

Yeah, big difference in our climates, here it's semi-arid.  Cold winters and summers that often get very hot.  No humidity tho.

Sorry about your fingers, that's rough.