• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Dish Towel

weinoo

Just to throw a monkey wrench into this discussion, I've added some microfiber non-dish towels into my towel drawer. 

With so much stainless steel in our new kitchen, and after reading a bunch of stuff about how best to keep it (somewhat) clean, I purchased a stack of these. They're great - I've used them on the frigde, on the surface of the range, on countertops, etc. Miraculously, they appear to clean with only water - who knew?

So they've earned a place alongside my tea towels (ok, I don't have any of those), dish towels, hand towels, and all other towels located in my kitchen towel drawer.  What's nice is that they come in a variety of colors, so they're easily distinguishable from the real dish towels, and quick to grab.

They do, however, suffer from shrinkage, when drying in the clothes dryer...:shock:.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I discovered this cleaner for stainless...it is pure magic!  The mfr. also makes the best glass cleaner.  Two times I've put new glass surrounds in bathrooms and the installers (different companies each time) told me to use the Sprayway product on them (never Windex).

I've also used the stainless cleaner on my gas stove top and it came out looking like new even though it's not stainless.

Back to Dish Towels now.

Edited by lindag (log)

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Just to throw a monkey wrench into this discussion, I've added some microfiber non-dish towels into my towel drawer. 

With so much stainless steel in our new kitchen, and after reading a bunch of stuff about how best to keep it (somewhat) clean, I purchased a stack of these. They're great - I've used them on the frigde, on the surface of the range, on countertops, etc. Miraculously, they appear to clean with only water - who knew?

So they've earned a place alongside my tea towels (ok, I don't have any of those), dish towels, hand towels, and all other towels located in my kitchen towel drawer.  What's nice is that they come in a variety of colors, so they're easily distinguishable from the real dish towels, and quick to grab.

They do, however, suffer from shrinkage, when drying in the clothes dryer...:shock:.

.....well thanks for feeding my addiction.  Now I want those, too.  :|:D

22 minutes ago, blbst36 said:

....well thanks for feeding my addiction.  Now I want those, too.  :|:D

Try one first. I just gave everyone of mine away. I hate them. They catch on my nails, or on any bit of skin  on my hands that isn’t perfectly smooth, the very feel of them gives me the  Heebie-jeebies. They are not for everybody

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Try one first. I just gave everyone of mine away. I hate them. They catch on my nails, or on any bit of skin  on my hands that isn’t perfectly smooth, the very feel of them gives me the  Heebie-jeebies. They are not for everybody

Oooh good to know.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Yes!  If it is the middle of winter when my hands tend to be kind of rough, I can literally pick them up without actually grasping them.  I do use them still to wipe out the bathroom sinks between real cleaning.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Yes!  If it is the middle of winter when my hands tend to be kind of rough, I can literally pick them up without actually grasping them.  I do use them still to wipe out the bathroom sinks between real cleaning.

Just think of it as your hands are providing you with free velcro.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 1/29/2018 at 7:27 AM, Kim Shook said:

A few more.  All three of these were gifts from folks going abroad.

DSCN7917.JPG.6e887a6b7ea166ccae3f8146315a461a.JPG

I like the Kings and Queens of Scotland.  There are a bunch of those in my pedigree.  Had my DNA done again with newer tests and turns out my ancestry is quite limited more than 50% from Ireland/Scotland/Wales and Great Britain and 40% from Europe West - more ancient than the British Isles folk.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

3 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I like the Kings and Queens of Scotland.  There are a bunch of those in my pedigree.  Had my DNA done again with newer tests and turns out my ancestry is quite limited more than 50% from Ireland/Scotland/Wales and Great Britain and 40% from Europe West - more ancient than the British Isles folk.

Did you have any Neanderthal?  We learned tonight in bible study (a unit on our responsibilities towards the natural world and how science and faith can coexist) that people of Northern European backgrounds have 1-3% Neanderthal DNA.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2018 at 4:58 PM, Katie Meadow said:

I assume the distinction between tea and dish is quality (maybe linen vs cotton) and purpose.

My take is that tea towels are linen, muslin or the like, and do a better job of drying dishes whereas hand towels are terry cloth.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Did you have any Neanderthal?  We learned tonight in bible study (a unit on our responsibilities towards the natural world and how science and faith can coexist) that people of Northern European backgrounds have 1-3% Neanderthal DNA.

Sorry if I don't have a tea towel to prove it, but according to 23andme.com I am 4% Neanderthal.  The good news is I am 96% human.

And for what it's worth my kitchen towels are linen.

• Haha 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

My take is that tea towels are linen, muslin or the like, and do a better job of drying dishes whereas hand towels are terry cloth.

For hand towels I prefer cotton.  Fortunately, here the bathroom is right next to the kitchen.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

No. But it appears that I have ancestors that were Romans that remained in the British Isles when the Legions returned to Italy.  These are via the Welsh.  

One of my early ancestors that was in Virginia by 1645, grew Flax, Indigo and later built a flax mill and ten "floor looms" instead of shipping the raw materials home to England.

He paid the passage for 16 journey weavers and 2 master weavers from Scotland in 1680.  

His son built cotton mills some 40 years later.  The family were abolitionists.  

So I think several of my ancestors were very involved with various fabrics and surely there were some tea towels and etc., in the output.  

I meant to add that ALL of my ancestors were here prior to 1800

5a7368a636c97_between1775and1800.thumb.png.2c4b3f89847342021cf39d0eccf38a40.png

The last batch arrived between 1750 and 1775

5a7369780d304_Between1750and1775.thumb.png.bc2c9153db65bfe0d9b8ace6c85e9f7f.png

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett